1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying fabric of vintage Hawaiian muumuu

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Olivia Smith, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Olivia Smith

Olivia Smith Registered Guest

Found this “Tropicana originals” Hawaiian muumuu and need help identifying fabric. It’s a very distinct texture, almost feels like canvas. Feels sort of heavy on. Any ideas? I’m thinking it’s from the 70s but if y’all disagree let me know. See photos.

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I "think" your muumuu is C. 1960s but I'm not sure. Is the zipper metal or plastic? I can't tell from your photo. Did you carefully check all the seams to see if there are more tags or labels - maybe one that gives the fabric content or how to launder?

The fabric "looks" like a woven heavy cotton to me that was meant to look like bark cloth. I am not an expert on dating muumuu's but I do live in Hawaii and remember wearing them! Let's see what others think.

Olivia Smith likes this.
  3. Olivia Smith

There are no interior tags aside from the main label and the zipper is plastic! Thanks for your help!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Could it be a heavier silk, the 4th photo you have shown makes me think it may be a raw silk. Is it lined?

5. Olivia Smith

It’s not lined. I’m adding another photo of what the inside looks like

Attached Files:

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Still difficult to be sure but I have had similar items which were like what Linn has described as well a heavy weight cotton. I see 60s as well.

7. Linn

Cotton - and '60s with the plastic zipper.

8. Olivia Smith

Thanks ladies!!

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Linn, I would call the flowers hibiscus. Your thoughts.

10. Linn

Claire,

The flowers look like hibiscus but not the leaves - the leaves are very stylized and nothing like hibiscus leaves. This is what hibiscus leaves look like:

[​IMG]

11. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Thanks, Linn,
    I know hibiscus flowers but hadn't thought about the leaves.
    I've seen the leaves, but have no idea what they are. C

12. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

The leaves look like they could be (stylized) Philodendron bipinnatifidum aka lacy tree Philodendron to my eye

13. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I agree with Linn that it's cotton in a barkcloth texture. And those little ruffles at neckline and sleeves look very 60s to me.