1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating and Identifying Dream Dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mollzonmarz, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Mollzonmarz

Mollzonmarz Registered Guest

38BE2A6B-5561-4424-A022-B95C7D247B61.jpeg 38BE2A6B-5561-4424-A022-B95C7D247B61.jpeg 7E3EF7E4-D625-42BA-A160-C7A7F34F615A.jpeg 5AF9BDF0-DD6D-4C2F-86BC-E2E9D90ECB73.jpeg F90678AA-07F1-47A4-89AC-BECF0F79A630.jpeg I recently purchased a breathtakingly gorgeous dress (I literally want to live in the thing!❤️) from a local thrift shop and have been having a pretty tough time researching the dress maker (Addy's Oakland Calif). I'm also curious to know more about the Pearl adornments on the shoulders and bust area. I'm pretty sure the dress was produced sometime in the 40's but would also love any additional insights/confirmation of the timeline. I've posted photos of the dress itself, label, and zipper. Thanks so much for your help!

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a Feb. 1945 advertisement announcing Addys Epperson, owner for four years of the store formerly named Lillian’s, was changing the name of her Oakland CA store to Addys’ so your very nice dress dates to after Feb. 1945.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a stunner. Not sure when that sort of overlay bodice, after the war? I would think Addy's would have been a shop.

I just noted the ad found by Lynne...for the shop.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Mollzonmarz likes this.
  4. Mollzonmarz

This is so wonderful!! How did you stumble upon this? Thank you so much

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found it in a newspaper database to which I subscribe.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Mollzonmarz

Very cool. So neat to learn about where these pieces came from.

7. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Oh my. I'm swooning over that dress!

Mollzonmarz likes this.
  8. Mollzonmarz

Me too sister, me too! ❤️

9. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member