1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify maker

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Karlyn, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Karlyn

Karlyn Registered Guest

I have inherited this hat from my Mother-In Law. It is a least made late 1990s. There is a quote on the lining inside James Goldsmith (1933-1997)”Beauty is a social necessity”
    Being unfamiliar with hat makers, I cannot identify the tag. It’s a signature.
    The hat is a teal taffeta (I believe) with a woven black bow and the same black weaving under the large brim.
    Any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. Karlyn

Karlyn Registered Guest

Thank you. I’ll try searching that.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Sandra Phillipps (note the spelling) is a favorite milliner of mine and I have a number of her hats from early in her career to most recent. None have had that label which you show. But that does not mean it is not her hat, as it really is very much in the style she made. Although the label is not familiar and she always used her full name, and I cannot tell if the spelling of the last name is the exact same. I am really not able to see the name very well due to the script.

It does have a 90s vibe,

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Barbara, you may be referring to a different milliner, but the signature on the hat and what little I found online has only one L in the name Philipps.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

No, sorry, but that hat you linked is most definitely Sandra Phillipps. The person who listed that page has simply spelled her name incorrectly (twice!). It happens a lot, actually. If she showed the label you would see the 2 "L"s.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

That may be, but when I said "the signature on the hat" I meant the one posted by the original poster.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Yes, I understood that was what you meant.

9. Karlyn

Karlyn Registered Guest

It does have the same slouchy look with the big bows

10. Karlyn

Karlyn Registered Guest

My hat has no label inside like the others. There is absolutely nothing when I search “Philipps”
    Possibly a knockoff?