1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peggy Ward label in 1920s(?) dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gossamer, Nov 3, 2019.

1. gossamer

gossamer Registered Guest

I bought this dress on eBay for a 1920s themed party I went to yesterday. I've no experience with authentic 20s clothing, but having spent a lot of time looking at photos, it does seem to me like this is probably a true 20s dress.

No luck researching the label yet. I did take a crack at using nytimes archives, but ran into dead ends there too. How likely would it have been, do you think, for the Peggy Ward who became the Countess Munster and ran a successful decorating business in the early 20th century to have also had a clothing line?

[​IMG]

Photos taken of the dress inside-out before I washed it - I was so anxious about washing something so antique, but it cleaned up beautifully and only needed a few slight repairs to the seams before I could wear it last night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

Flappers were technically late 1920s - mid 30s. Looks that direction to me. Excellent dress! :wub:

gossamer likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I love the dress and it looks great on you.

Actually, just to clarify, Flappers came about in the very early 1920s, not late 1920s. I would have loved to have been one back in the day!

gossamer likes this.
  5. gossamer

Thanks! I'm shocked I actually managed to win the ebay auction on this AND that it didn't cost too much either!

I wasn't trying to go for flapper look at all, but more of a general 1920s theme for the event.

I spent a lot of time looking at old family photos as well as public domain photos on places like shorpy.com. Based on my own research, which sadly still comes up with nothing for the label, I think my dress probably came from the early to mid 1920s just based on the waist (not really a true drop waist, which was late 20s). I think both the neckline and the sleeves suggest probably daywear instead of party clothing,

This office Christmas photo was a huge help, as I could see that while many women had their hair bobbed, quite a few had it up in more like a faux-bob that I attempted: https://www.shorpy.com/node/5120?size=_original#caption

I did think about wearing my stockings rolled like I'd seen in some photos of youthful flappers, but since I'm at least a decade older than that, it seemed best to go for a more conservative 20s look :) Office party appropriate, haha

Thanks! It was a fun look to try out, and now I have this gorgeous dress that I'm not quite sure I know what to do with at the moment. But at least I know I'm putting mine away in my closet clean, unlike the previous owner did!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am a little late with this reply, but I found this 1930 ad for a Peggy Ward dress that resembles your dress. As you can see, the ad text says Peggy Ward identifies it as a dress exclusively from Ward’s. I wonder, then, if Peggy Ward might be a fictional name used by Ward’s stores for this line.

5429E8F0-8C56-4BA9-BB98-DF05F44B4A6D.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  7. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

8. gossamer

Oh my goodness, this is fabulous, thank you! This makes a lot of sense, and gives me more to go on. Much appreciated!

Thank you!

9. gossamer

Montgomery Ward ran an ad blitz in mid-September 1930 introducing its Peggy Ward dresses in a number of papers, it seems.
    Here's one:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.48.32 PM.png
    and then another version.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.48.19 PM.png
    and one more, a little different, still from Sept. 1930:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 1.00.31 PM.png

This one is from October 1930 and includes the label I was asking about:
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.58.40 PM.png

November 1930
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 1.04.00 PM.png

Dec. 1930
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 1.02.07 PM.png

In early 1931 we get a few more.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.52.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.53.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.55.55 PM.png

This is from July '31
    Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.56.47 PM.png

After that, I don't see any more relevant newspaper results from Google.

I guess this means my dress is probably early 30s Fascinating!! So glad to have some concrete evidence now instead of my vague suppositions. I'm learning a lot from this process.

Retro Ruth and lkranieri like this.