1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Suede (?) Jacket with Lightning Zipper

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JohnS, Dec 28, 2019.

1. JohnS

JohnS Registered Guest

Hello, I recently picked up this jacket

I was wondering if anybody could help me with the year and possibly the material it is made from. I'm not sure if suede would be the proper way to describe the material. It has a Lightning Zipper. I also took pictures of the fasteners. This looks like it could be 60s to me but I'm not very sure. I couldn't find anything about this brand when doing research. Any help would be appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks late 40s - early 50s to me, and I did a search for 'Regal Sportswear' and the earliest reference I found was from 1946 and by 1958 the company had moved to Montreal from Winnipeg, so I think my initial thoughts were correct...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  3. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I pretty much agree with Jonathan, but might narrow it down to mid 50s to early 60s. The style, not the maker or the material, is similar to the popular "Clipper jackets" of that time. But it's a fairly timeless style. The material looks "from here" to be nubuck, not suede. Nubuck is the sanded exterior of leather and is usually "rougher"; suede is the sanded interior and is usually softer. I'm just going by the visual appearance in the photos; could be suede, but I'd have to see and touch it in person.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I did a fast search for Regal Sportswear in Winnipeg and the first mention of them was in a 1947 Winnipeg newspaper. In 1953 the Winnipeg newspaper noted the company declared bankruptcy and I saw no other reference to them in Winnipeg.

5. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Late 40s - early 50s sounds right to me.
    Can I just add... how cute is that label?!

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  6. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

It's a fantastic label!