1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing stains

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Aug 6, 2020.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I have this ivory colored bedspread set from the 40. It’s made from some sort of satin. There is yellowing all over the whole set. Some of it looks as though the yellowing is right along the fold lines. Some of it, there is no pattern to it. It’s pretty extensive yellowing. I have no idea what the yellowing is from. I am hoping for some suggestions on how to get rid of it. Here are two poor photos of the yellowing. It’s supposed to be sunny and in the high 80s the next 3 days which gives me a lot of time to hang them in the sun, if that would work?

Attached Files:

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I usually soak similar stains in Restoration but it really depends on the fabric. It won’t be safe to use Restoration if they are silk. These kinds of stains are typically really stubborn if they come out at all.

3. It looks like it got wet or was laundered previously and the stain bled. I am not sure it will come out without a lot of work.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

The yellowing could be from a naughty animal. If it's the kind of bedroom set I *think* it is, it's probably a satin but a blend of silk SO I'd clean in the machine using the handwash cycle, with first a good soak. Restoration is good. Then I'd dry on the line on a sunny day.

Also, I've pre-treated those kinds of stains with pretty good success from bridal gowns... I use a paste mix of hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/white vinegar and go at the stain with a gentle toothbrush scrubbing.

But this is if a silk blend which I think it is but you'll know for sure.

5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Well I took the plunge and washed it in a commercial washer - twice! Honestly it smelled so heavily of mildew and with the yellowing too, I developed a “screw it, what’s the worst that can happen” mentality. The first time I washed it on a delicate cycle with oxiclean white revive. It involved some soaking. It came out whiter but still stained though the stains were lighter. I hung them out to dry in the sun. Then, reinforced by the lack of obvious damage from washing it once, I washed it again. This time I used regular oxiclean and a little bit of bleach on the delicate cycle. Just a smidgen of bleach. They look MUCH better. No obvious damage. All the pink trim is still pink. No mildew smell either. I think by the time it dries, the staining will be far less obvious. At least that is the plan.

I have one more question. Does anyone have any information on this stamp? Would this label mean this bed set is from the 20s-40s? I thought it was from the 40s but I thought I would ask. I took a picture of the back of the label with a light behind it so I could see the writing under the stamp. The set includes one satin embroidered bedspread with a long glamorous skirt, two pairs of satin drapes with tie backs and valances. The valances have embroidery too. There are also numerous long and square dresser scarves.

EEFC2275-B5D0-4437-9CE9-9507C24A38A8.jpeg 5959E17A-1F51-4C39-8561-C76578544CC4.jpeg

AE92149D-3696-4DEF-9F08-CD8935F5681E.jpeg

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Gosh it looks GOOD!!

acceber likes this.
  7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! That picture of the bedspread, it was still wet. It’s a great transformation, dried and ironed. I do believe it’s some kind of silk/satin blend. Very shiny and soft. I only got around to ironing the drapes today. They have tie backs but I’m not sure if I’m going to use them. Here are the drapes I have hung up. The top of the valance has the same type of quilting and embroidery as the bedspread. I honestly didn’t think I would care for the look of them but I think I love them. I am hoping to get the other window done later when I get home from work and the bedspread done tomorrow. I will post pictures of how it comes out.

7BBD730E-D620-4CFB-B1C3-8BBE171FD015.jpeg

8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I don’t know how that little ironing guy showed up. lol

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That came out very well...it is surprising what good work a washing machine with a delicate cycle can accomplish. The sun and air really help too!
    Glad to see you were able to salvage this lovely set.

That stamp is interesting, looking forward to hearing info about that.

acceber likes this.
  10. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

That’s a state revenue stamp. Some stamp collectors focus specifically on them. There is even a society that produces a catalogue of revenue stamps.

This site has lots of info on them and suggests that New York had them between 1933-1942.

However, on a stamp collectors site I saw the following which considering the source, I think is far more reliable: “printed 1933, 34, 36, 37, 40 - discontinued use in 1954“

Retro Ruth and acceber like this.
  11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

aw, you have a helper! lol lol

acceber likes this.
  12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I LOVE this!!

acceber likes this.
  13. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I had to come share the end result. This is a guest room, just done up in my crazy interest in vintage. lol I might bring up a dress form and doll it up in a matching 30s nightgown. I made the canopy out of a wrought iron hanging basket that’s supposed to be hung on a fence outside, flat on one side, using drapes from the 30s and some sheer panels from Walmart. I did discover the stamp on the tag on the bedspread is from 1937. All the furniture is 1930s waterfall, a bed, dresser, armoire, vanity, hope chest and two bedside tables. I wish that little ironing guy was around to help. This was exhausting. lol

A52ACF88-1646-465F-A014-779134FC1BD9.jpeg 243C1F0A-B00D-429D-96C4-9CF27F4E1B96.jpeg 6E071A6D-0CBA-44D2-BAB8-25BA57EB6BF7.jpeg B5B1258F-A04E-45AA-A04F-CAC120403B4B.jpeg

Retro Ruth and denisebrain like this.
  14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That guest room is so lovely and romantic! You did a great job with everything.

beatingHeart

15. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

So pretty. It made me smile.
    Marian

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

18. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh be still my vintage heart, this is glorious!

19. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! ❤️ There are a lot of little imperfections in the fabric throughout the entire set but I don’t care. I’m debating using pink sheers behind the drapes but I’m not sure. I don’t want to overdo the pink. I also decided against using the tie backs.

20. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you for this interesting information! I did a lot of googling and found a site where someone was inquiring about the same stamp I have. Someone responded with this:

2EA97B68-C896-47C8-9007-ADE9663876F4.jpeg

I noticed that difference on the stamp on the page you posted. There is an obvious space between the L and the A in Labor on the stamp on that page:

8871A93A-BB42-4D4F-91E2-13CC32309E1E.jpeg

The L and the A are joined on my stamp, like the guy posted:

0438F1BD-C502-4BEE-897A-A03E87F71DE2.jpeg

Interesting stuff! Suffice to say this bedspread is old. lol

Retro Ruth and Vintagiality like this.