1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Sherman of London2 piece?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by oopsie, Sep 13, 2020.

1. oopsie

oopsie Registered Guest

Hello!
    I recently bought this Sherman of London 2 piece, it's in lovely condition although a little small for myself ;(
    I've been trying to research a little about the brand and have been reading about Samuel Sherman (A.K.A Sambo) and have found a lot about Dollyrockers and his other brands but not a lot about Sherman of London!
    I've attached photos of the dress and the label, along with the zips and other details like the buttons.
    Fabric is sheer and a little stiff, I'm guessing it's synthetic but I'm not sure!
    Thanks for any help or info! :) Photo on 13-09-2020 at 11.30.jpg IMG_5349.JPG IMG_5353.JPG IMG_5357.JPG IMG_5358.JPG IMG_5359.JPG

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Early to mid '70s I think, judging by the '30s-40s inspired style, zipper, labels and printed polyester chiffon. These were usually worn as party dresses I think.

oopsie likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with 70s

I have had this label, and looked into whether Sherman of London is connected with Samuel Sherman. I couldn't find anything definite that showed there was connection between this label and Samuel Sherman. A few blog posts try and make that connection, but I found no proof, and people will say anything. I tried to find something like an article written back then that made it clear it was his label, or trademark information that connected them, but found nothing. So it's quite possible there's no connection at all between Sherman of London and Samuel Sherman.

My Sherman of London dress was wonderful, with a fab print, as it yours. I would have kept it, but like yours it was just a touch too small. Exactly the same label as yours

DSC_0491.jpg

oopsie and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Early 70s probably made either from Tricel or Terylene , ( can be similar in look, different process ).

Sherman Fashions go back to 1898 and started with David and an outlet in Shaftesbury Avenue, London, along with his wife, Rebecca who was either German or French. Rebecca had her own brand and shop in Oxford Street.

The House of Sherman operated from Hanover Square, late 50s 60s and supplied other large fashion houses and outlets,

Large family, America and Israel, inninotive in their outlook, manufacturing and design.

The family have a keen interest in racing cars which is where I first came across their name while researching a crash helmet I own with Simon Sherman's name in it.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Do you have any information showing that this Sherman of London label was definitely part of that family business? As I said above, I'm not convinced they are connected, but I'd love to find evidence that they are.

6. oopsie

oopsie Registered Guest

Ah! I hadn't even considered that it might not even be related to the Sherman companies, seems likely as there is a lot of info on the other aspects of the business but no connection to this label maybe!

7. oopsie

oopsie Registered Guest

Yeah, I ended up in a research deep dive last night. Their dynasty continues too, one of Samuel Sherman's great-granddaughter is called Danielle Sherman and has worked for McQueen and The Row. She now owns a fine jewellery business named after her grandparents tailor business called Sherman Field 1967
    - interesting though she mentions in the vogue article that this brand was very shortlived and there was only one piece of marketing produced for it. Maybe it's possible that this is something they did a lot and our Sherman of London dresses are connected somehow!
    Here's the article about her if anyones interested :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth,

None what so ever except for my scrawlings while researching the crash helmet but would be surprised if label are not connected.

The only other details I wrote/have with large ? is they supplied places like Selfridges, House of Fraser and such like.

I also believe Sam/Simon introduced Tricel into the London Fashion market in the early 60s but that will require much further research.

Retro Ruth likes this.