1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone out there with knowledge about historical altar boy vestments?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MagsRags, Sep 14, 2020.

1. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

This says "altar boy" to me, even though it doesn't really look like what the altar boys in my parish wore when I was attending regularly back in the 1950s and 60s.
    altarboytop2.jpg
    White cotton, cottony lace. The neck circumference barely closes on Josephine. Sleeve and body are quite full, overall length is quite short.

I grew up seeing altar boys wearing black cassocks with white surplices over them.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It does look like that, just the collar is different, the ones I remember had a squared off neckline.

lkranieri likes this.
  3. MagsRags

Me too. And those went over the high-necked cassock, not under.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Me three.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If that's a 70s black mannequin, you could probably sell it for a minor fortune. I know two people who are looking for pre 1990 black mannequins, there was a Beverly Johnson mannequin apparently, which is especially desirable.

6. MagsRags

If only. Josephine is probably close to that vintage. I drove 150 miles to pick her up from the antique store who sold her to me on eBay in the early 2000s. On close inspection, I am pretty sure that (Josephine is wearing Black Face). Nicely done, but still aftermarket application.