1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Post Labels for the LABEL RESOURCE Here** 2020 - CLOSED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Labels for the Label Resource - Add here' started by denisebrain, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Marsha,

Please edit and I will have a clearer idea of what is required of me.

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Will do!

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Wearing my forum admin hat for a moment :

Yes it is correct that you can't start a new thread in this forum. The first post in this running thread gives the instructions on what to post here, which includes the label, images of the garment it came from, and any research.

This forum is only for submitting labels to the label resource, and any research or a biography, also intended for the label resource. This is done via these running threads as Marsha says. This allows the team that work on the label resource to keep track of submissions.

This thread is not meant as a place to start a discussion (other than as necessary for clarifying the submission, such as credit information, a different shot of the label, etc).

If you want to share something and get responses, additional information, have a conversation about the garment, the brand etc, we would love you to start threads in the the other forums, such Vintage Chatter, Share Your Treasures, or Questions and Answers, as appropriate. Each forum has a description, but if anything isn't clear please ask.

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

You are an administrator, your house, your rules. :)
    But is that not what I did?
    I understand this, I did not submit with the intention of discussion or responses in mind but submitted research.

( note, not that I have an issues with my research being questioned or discussed but understand the label resource pages are not the place to do so ).

I wasn't sharing treasures, not that I mind doing so, I was submitting labels and research for consideration and I'm still unclear as to which way I should have jumped, submit or share treasures.

Clearly if I want to share and receive, the various discussion pages are the place to do so.

But it was submission with research.

Perhaps what Marsha is saying--or not, nice research but long and winded, I can accept that.

I think my mistake/s was including, loads of images instead of just labels and including all the research on both items in one submission.

I will know more when I have read Marsha's edit.

I scribble down facts, bang 'em out on a keyboard and throw everything in the mix, varied maybe but can make for a chewy cake or with the best intent, a hard read.

5. Retro Ruth

I wasn't trying to say you did anything wrong! Sorry if came across that way. What you submitted was fine. Just you seemed to have questions about what to post where.

I was just giving additional clarification on your question. I should probably have let it be.

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

I am submitting this to the forum administrators for their consideration should they wish to add it to their label resources forum.

Lerose, Made in Great Britain label.

The company is documented but little in detail recounted by past employees.

Lerose was established in January 1962 in Birmingham, UK, by a M.K. Rose, ( possibly Rosenberg ), Lerose ceased trading in 1988. The company had 3 factories, and several outlets in and around Birmingham, manufacturing and selling good value, reasonably well made, off the shelf clothes. Their main store and HQ was in Henrietta Street, the city centre.

Their garments were mainly of Jersey and Print material.

My submission is a little unusual as Lerose was not known for producing dresses in Crimplene.

Trading under " Lerose", in the 60s, "Lerose Just Jersey" in the 70s. There is possibly another two names associated with Lerose, "After Eight" and another I can't recall.

There was a " Lerose Gowns Manufactures " established in the late 40s, by Stanley Cohen and Kurt Rosenberg operating first from Constitution Hill Birmingham and later Henrietta Street from 1964 and ceased trading early 70s.

If connected, the brand Lerose is a mixture of two names, a first and last of two people, Stan-Le-y and Rose-nberg,-- Lerose.

I have no details of any family connections.

Sources, Birmingham-History AC, Moorland History archive and others.

I think the garment is circa 1970s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. Grover Street Girl

Grover Street Girl Registered Guest

A7A63A21-B0AE-4841-A3BC-DB48A64BFBEA.jpeg 6B17BA37-4918-490C-BB44-DEA740666B00.jpeg 12EC5421-A540-44D3-8876-49E6C063A0BB.jpeg ABE7438B-EE6D-4E35-A602-008019D51335.jpeg A6CC80F2-A0C4-485C-BB04-08D6AC0AD747.jpeg Here’s a Princess Peggy label that is on a pair of 2-pc Beach/lounging pajamas, circa 1940 The only info that I have on ‘Princess Peggy‘, I found on VFG. This label is much plainer than the other labels already posted, but the print goes up at an angle, left to right, like the others. Possibly an early iteration?

Additional description: the pants have a left side opening and closes with two ties, nothing else. The top is a pop-over. So no clues there. The pants’ hem and collar are bound in bias trim. The pants have front and back pleats and a front yoke. Seams are flat felled. Fabric is medium quality broadcloth. Love to hear anyone’s input! Thanks for the welcome!
    Grover Street Girl
    View attachment 126817 View attachment 126816 View attachment 126817 View attachment 126815

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  8. Ranch Queen Vintage

How interesting! Odd that the existing labels in our Label Resource all have a consistent font. Yours is quite a bit different.
    I'd love to see the type and placement of the closures for both pieces.

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Hi! Nice to see you here and I agree with Marsha, if you have any such pix we would love to see them.

10. Ranch Queen Vintage

Thanks for the additional pics and info! Super-cute set!

11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I just realized today that we don't have an entry for Nudelman Brothers. They were based in Portland, so that probably explains why I seem to run across them now and then. They specialized in uniforms - lots of military, as well as (I think) hospitality workers, and in this case, marching band!

The union tag - UGWA, A.F. of L. - which we also don't have. I am pretty sure the slightly blurry words in the background say "Special Order"

And the jacket - hard to date. Heavy gab, beautifully made. At least one wearer was female, so probably not really early, but she may have been a later wearer.

In doing a bit of research, Joseph Nudelman brought an agricultural colony from Russia in the 1880s to start an agrarian collective farm in North Dakota. When that farm failed the group moved to Nevada and then California before arriving in Portland Oregon, where there were already some Nudelman family members. There were 13 Nudelman siblings in that first generation. The Nudelmans started a variety of businesses in Portland, including a grocery and meat market. Nudelman Brothers began their business in 1904, and formed an official partnership of 3 in 1917. They opened their first uniform store in Portland in 1920, and expanded to Seattle later in the 1920s. Regarding WW2, Eugene Nudelman (1906-1994) reminisced in 1974 "...we were serving many of the facets of the military by virtue of government edict. As a firm in the uniform business, we had to supply all the commissioned officers of the Army and the Navy and the Marine Corps with uniforms furnished by the government. We were paid a small fee for doing it. It was a necessary part of our business at that time." Nudelman Brothers formally incorporated between 1945 and 1947. They continued to produce uniforms, and at the time of his 1974 interview with the Oregon Jewish Museum & Center for Holocaust Education, Eugene Nudelman was still working fulltime for Nudelman Brothers.

Retrieved for the Label Resource 11/03/20
    Thanks, Maggie

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My other Nudelman uniform jacket, recently sold USAF mess jacket, also tough to date.The buttons are a dating clue that I have not been able to pin down, but they are not the currently used buttons. It went from gilt to these to a plainer design of a single star with wings.

Retrieved for the Label Resource 11/03/30
    Thanks, Maggie!

13. gatco

gatco VFG Member

Didn't see this one in the novelty labels. Some are being sold as men's some women's....I don't know but the label is darn cute

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2020
    MagsRags likes this.
  14. thespectrum

Cute, Ludi! Is it 1960s?

15. gatco

gatco VFG Member

I am having a hard time determining that but leaning towards 60s however I can see it with bell bottoms, blousey billowing sleeve shirt and platform shoes. Haven't look to see when they stopped using WPL labels widely.

Okay I just looked it up, it appears WPL numbers were issued between 1941 through 1959 so I'm going with 60s.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  16. thespectrum

Thanks! I'll add it to the Novelty Labels :USETHUMBUP:

17. Shaunnie

Shaunnie Registered Guest

1950s Ira Rentner Wool Dress

ADDED TO THE LR NOVEMBER 2020, THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2020
  18. Retro Ruth

These are slightly different to any of the Jaeger labels we already have.

From a 1970s pure wool suit

Please credit as RetroRuthUK

Retrieved for the Label Resource 11/25/20
    Thanks, Ruth!

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  19. Shaunnie

Shaunnie Registered Guest

Reich Originals label
    From a 1950s blue soutache dress
    Retrieved for the Label Resource 1/28/21
    Thanks, Shaunnie!

20. Shaunnie