1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To steam or not to steam...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Blondzai, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

I was just gifted a bag of beautiful (mostly) 40s from a hoarder house. These particular pieces were in a garment bag, the only reason they didn't face the holey moth eaten fate the rest of the (once) gorgeous pieces in the closet faced. They are still covered in 30+ years of dirt, dust, and probably more. Normally I would steam pieces I bring inside to get rid of the odor, dust mites, and hopefully killing any freeloading creatures that caught a ride in the process. I know I have a lot of risky cleaning ahead of me so the last thing I want to do is make it harder on myself.
    SO, my big question is.... is steam going to set these stains?

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I can't answer the steaming question, but I strongly recommend you do a double freeze cycle to kill any moths that might have got in.

Blondzai, MagsRags and carla rey like this.
  3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

totally in agreement with Ruth about freezer treatment first.

Blondzai likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Agree with Ruth and Carla, freezer and then airing out if that is possible for you and then on with the cleaning. I have passed on quite a few buys due to issues like this in a house.

5. Blondzai

Thanks y'all! I FINALLY managed to make some space in my freezer to pop these babies in there. They have already received the clothesline/sun airing out but should I do another round of that after the freezing? Also do I really need to leave them in there for a full week? I have a tiny freezer so Im going to have to do it in batches as is.

6. Blondzai

I couldn't pass these up though.. they are such beautiful pieces (Ill post pics once I can bring them in the house) and I LOVE a cleaning project.

MagsRags likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I know how hard it is to pass up lovely pieces, there have been times I caved and just worked through them...patience and time is what it takes!
    Good luck and looking forward to seeing them!

Blondzai and MagsRags like this.
  8. I concur with others on the freezing.

Steaming is a good way to get creases out of some textiles but it's not a cleaning method so please freeze, clean and then steam.

Blondzai likes this.
  9. Blondzai

what do you mean by "double" freeze?

10. Freeze, thaw, freeze again.

I have a big chest freezer and usually just leave them in for a week or two but the double freeze can work if you can't leave them in as long.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  11. Blondzai

Gotcha, thanks! Do I hang to thaw? lay flat?

12. I just pull them out in their plastic bags, leave them to come to room temperature and then process. I'd be lost without my chest freezer. When you receive pieces that are or potentially infested, you can't risk introducing them into your collection.

Blondzai likes this.
  13. Blondzai

I wish I had a place to put one!

14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've heard the double freeze is more effective than a longer single freeze, as the critters can't take the rise in temperature followed by another drop.