1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Montgomery Ward "Windward" Sport Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SusieQsie, Dec 29, 2020.

1. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hello, I could use some help dating this men's Montgomery Ward wool sport coat for their "windward outdoor clothing western made" label. Montgomery Ward is not on the label resource guild and I couldn't find anything on any trademark websites for the 'Windward' label. The only things that come up are people who have Windward items that they say are from the 40s and 50s. I was originally thinking it was 90s, but I have never seen leather shank buttons like these where the shank is also made of leather and not some kind of metal. I had to replace them since the leather was dry and brittle and the shanks had broken off, plus some went missing. Any dating or history would be so helpful!

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Can you provide a closer photo to the label? I *think* this is 70s but not positive.

3. SusieQsie

Sure, thank you.

Attached Files:

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. SusieQsie

Yes, when it is on a female form it does look that way!

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

thanks for the label photo... between that and the leather shank buttons, I'm thinking that this is late 50s-early 60s. Tough to call exactly because Wards produced the same, classic styles without a lot of variation for decades.

But I don't think this 40s.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I just leafed through the 63, 64 Spring/Summer, 66, 68 and 70 Fall Winter, and saw plaid jackets and shirts, but nothing like this one sorry to say. There is no Windward label in these catalogues. I would estimate 1950s, and unfortunately I don't have catalogues from that decade.

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

9. SusieQsie

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021