1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Some Dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Avantbo, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Questions and my appologies for quality of images.

3 Dresses

First one is a 50s Melbray of London floral dress, of its era and they are still about and the label is resonably documented.
    Dress recently found on a market stall in France its a cotton print, boned, zipped back, sewn in peticoat, is it a cocktail dress? its the detachable/throw on collar confussing me a little.
    Size is 36, that would make it a UK size 8?

From my own collection.

Black & White Dress, no label, made of Terylene, I think size UK 12.
    Late 70s or 80s?, has a metal zip.

Last one, knited, again no label, I think comercialy made, 70s or 80s and a name given to this style of dress?

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd call that a detachable cape on the first dress, I have had sun dress patterns from the 50s with this kind of feature, however, yours looks a bit more formal. Maybe a party dress?

The last dress looks like crochet rather than knitted to me, but I would neet so see a close-up of the pattern.

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Midge and thanks.

A party dress would be a better discription, as you write, it's a little to formal for a cocktail dress, and a size 36 would that make it a size 8?

As for knitted or crochet with the last dress I uploaded a couple more images.

As for these last two dresses, from what era would you say?

Attached Files:

• b.JPG
      b.JPG
      File size:
      49.6 KB
      Views:
    • c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The big floral would be perfect for a garden party. Those big floral prints were really popular 1957-1960. The blue crochet looks 1965ish, the black c. 1967ish

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Jonathan,
    Yes Garden Party, perfect, I have had Melbray dresses in the past, infact I still have a couple but they are 50s day wear.

As Midge stated it is a cape not a collar as I wrote, it threw me a bit.

Good find I think, I paid 27 euros in all but that included a rather lovely mirror.

Middle to late 60s for the crochet and B&W! gosh I thought early 70s at least but ok.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks Midge.
    Could I hand wash it and dry it flat, it's a little gruby and it would come up lovely or best to dry clean?

8. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Yes, you would be able to hand wash (I'd soak it in cool water and detergent for an hour or two to loosen up the old grub) the crocheted dress and dry flat.

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've had a few Melbray dresses too. They've always been really lovely, as is yours.

10. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello, thanks Maggie,
    As I write this I have it soaking in a tub, cor! blimey the grubiness fled out, I will leave it soak for a good couple of hours, then resoak it.

11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth,
    Yes they are lovely, typical of its era, I will send it to the dry cleaners, it has a couple of spot stains on it.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think those crochet dresses without waists were available into the 70s, but yours looks a bit too long for the late 60s, but it really could be anytime between about 1965 and 1972:
    il_570xN.1586560059_q1hs.jpg il_fullxfull.3846441557_el22.jpg dd0275e8848658b78f7cba63a9059e31--australian-fashion-s-fashion.jpg

13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Yes thanks Jonathan.

I think I will err on the side of safety and discribe it as early 70s shift dress, as you write, it's a little long for late 60s and it doesn't have that 60s feel but I could be wrong.

I'm not even sure if it's wool or acrylic.

Would anyone like to take a shot as to what the pattern is called?

14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's a bit like shell stitch. Not exactly though

15. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I would describe the black and white as a "Scooter" Dress - fits in nicely with the Mod era of the mid-late 60s.

16. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thanks Ruth.

17. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Sadie and thankyou.
    A Scooter dress! late 60s, great, thank you ever so much.

dollsntrolls likes this.