1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique corset (XX or XIX?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 1002wave, Jan 24, 2023.

1. 1002wave

1002wave Registered Guest

Hello, I am not an export in antique lingerie so… can anyone help me dating this corset (coming from France)?
    I thought 1900-1910, but the seller told me it’s from XIX.
    I am not sure if she’s right…

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think late 1910s because it is designed for the waist and hips, not the bust, which would have a brassiere. The hook on the front is for keeping the petticoat from riding up and thickening the waist and they are still wearing a couple of petticoats into the late teens. My guess would be 1918ish.
    fashiondecor_xtnjq2.jpg

3. How did the petticoats waistband fasten to the hook? Just by hooking onto the waistband or another way?
    I have never seen any antique petticoats with button holes to accommodate the hook.
    @Jonathan

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

They don't fasten to the hook, the top band of the petticoat is kept from riding up by the upside down hook so it doesn't add volume to the actual waist.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. That makes much more sense! It is a stop gap piece.

Thanks for the clarification.

Jonathan likes this.
  6. 1002wave

Thank you very much for the explanation Jonathan, now it makes all more sense. Also thanks for the detail about the hook, I really didn’t understand its use. Really helpful!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

P.S. I have only ever seen the hook on European-made corsets - not sure if they ever appeared on American ones - they might have, but I haven't handled any.

8. 1002wave

The former owner told me she bought this corset in France indeed.
    I have also noticed that the corset has no straps for stockings. This was one of the reasons why I was in doubt about its dating.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Garters could be added - some women preferred to use roll garters instead of clips.

1002wave likes this.
  10. 1002wave

Thanks again!