1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Hello all

I have this Elbief bag that I'm really puzzled about...I am wavering between 50s and 70s. (What's the betting you guys say 60s?!) When I Googled it I found a thread here that had us puzzled for a while.

This doesn't have the giveaway Tricot to help us out. It's stamped Elbief on the frame. It is - to my eye - very 50s in shape, but that Meadows label (the retailer I think) and the detachable shoulder strap attachment look much more like 70s to me. The leaf motif is a machine-sewn applique. I think this was sold as having a lucite handle (memory's playing up) - any thoughts on that?

I am *so* sorry for the huge photos. I've tried resizing them so many times, both in Photoshop and then in Photobucket, but it's just not having it. Admins - please delete them if there're too much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA.

Sarah

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Sarah, I LOVE Elbief bags, and haven't seen any in so long--and sold all I had.... Yours is adorable, and I think very late 50s or into 60s, maybe up to mid 60s or so. It sort of has a peri-mod feel to it, and I agree that the hardware looks newer than 50s. But I seem to recall that the one "newer" Elbief bag I had did not have the napped leather lining, only the older ones. But that was some time ago, and I could be mistaken. I don't think it's 70s.

3. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

That metal zipper doesn't look very 70s does it? Nor the shape. Nor the handle. (Sorry Anne, sure that's incorrect usage of nor, but it's v late here!). But the shoulder strap really does.

OK, I'll ask the stupid question because I can always use the language barrier as an excuse! What's peri-mod?

That little dent at the top is a bit of a heartbreaker. You know when something you really like has a little flaw and that's all you can focus on?! Applies to men as well as handbags in my experience.

Sarah

4. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Sarah, by "peri" mod, I meant "around" the mod era, rather than "pre-mod" or "post-mod." It was easier to type peri than "around about the mod era"!

And I do remember first-hand carrying bags with the longer straps in the 60s.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

gettin a very late 60s/early 70s vibe here ~ that faux tortoise, the bag's shape, and the strap all read that way to me ~

6. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Oh, my photos magically got smaller. Good.

Anne, I thought that was what you meant. Thanks for explaining!

So far then I have 50s to 70s! I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in, but I think I might be plumping for 60s to be on the safe side.

Thanks Mary and Anne.

Sarah

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's a lovely bag, Sarah Jane!

I do get a 70s vibe from it, due to both the streamlined, thinner shape with shoulder strap, and the lucite handle. It's quite unusual, though--can see why you'd puzzle over date on this one!