1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help creating "Captain Trips" Top Hat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Midnight Cowboy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Registered Guest

Drying by the fire!

[​IMG]

I decided just to hand sew it, best I could do in such short notice. I see what you mean but turned out alright! Can always do it over again on the machine sometime later.

[​IMG]

Now to clean up this mess!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

:clapping:

Looks good so far, and I know we all are looking forward to see it all finished!

3. Midnight Cowboy

Update coming in no longer than two weeks. Ran into a few minor setbacks...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi M.C , that hat is looking fantastic! Not sure if your bench will ever be the same though ;)

5. Midnight Cowboy

Back for another update! Last time I left off I was drying the hat by the fire. I didn't take into account how long oil paint takes to dry, especially walnut oil paint! As of today the paint is still wet. I couldn't wear it to the show but that didn't matter, had a backup hat and have always wanted to make this.

The band I made by hand didn't fit the hat. It appears to have shrunk in size from bunching together, the side effects of hand sewing as you've all mentioned.

I came across this beautiful 99k Singer 1956 model. It definitely sings, incredible build quality for the price! It all happens for a reason. Had the band fit properly I probably wouldn't have tried it again on the machine. Plenty of videos online showcasing how to use it so I should be good to go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi MC, the Vintage Singer machine looks like a beauty, well done for finding it!

I am glad the hat project wasn't all for nothing then, and I hope you can make another band for it.

Happy sewing ! sewingmachineemoti