1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about fluorescent fabrics?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, May 25, 2017.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I found this cute little fluorescent rayon off the shoulder top at a flea, silk screened with a tropical band in silver and black. It's really hard to capture the shade of pink on my iphone. It's rayon and the label says truly "REGAL" products which hasn't really helped in my searching. I started to read about the Switzer brothers and the invention of Day-glo paint and fabrics for WW2.

Can I date this as post war 40s? 50s?

Thank you!

Photo May 25, 11 06 58 AM.jpg Photo May 25, 11 28 50 AM.jpg Photo May 25, 11 29 22 AM.jpg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That color is sensational!

The database hits I get for "day glo fabric" or "flourescent fabric" all start c. 1951 and are clustered (mostly for men and boyswear) around that year and the next. Also, according to the USPTO site, "Day Glo" as a textile dye (rather than for ink or paper) was first used in 1949 and patented in 1951. So... early 50s?

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:w78jaa.7.12

carla rey likes this.
  5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Good sleuthing Carrie! Thank you!

cmpollack likes this.
  6. edgertorrr

edgertorrr Registered Guest

The earliest use of fluorescent dyes in clothing was 1949, for gantner's coldfire glo-suits, specifically...everything else came later, so carrie is spot-on...(i have a soft spot for these odd early fluorescents)

carla rey likes this.