1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello all! I recently purchased this lovely Lanvin dress and would love any input. I believe the label reads 1949, would that mean the year it was produced?

Also, I plan on reselling this - but it has a few condition issues. Stitching in the underarms where it once ripped, and a few very small holes. It also needs cleaning. Should I send this somewhere that can restore it? I hesitate to take it somewhere local.

Also, any thoughts on where I can go to try and price it?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Hello, do you have pics of all the labels please? Also, are you confident that the neckline does up like that, and it's not a shawl collar that sits open a little?

Sometimes fashion companies do use labels that incorporate dates, but they're coded for internal use, so they can still sell styles past their season. The only times I've ever seen actual dates are when it's either a copyright date (which probably relates to the year the company registered their copyright, which is only useful in a very generic sense as it could be out by years of the garment) or in more recent times when you get the faux-vintage fashion like modern t-shirts printed with old dates (eg 1979) to look like they're old but they're not.

Lovely dress by the way! It could be late '40s but more information is needed.

3. blubirdboutique

Thank you! No, not certain I have it done up correctly in the front :) It was surprisingly hard to get on the mannequin. The middle section around the waist wraps from one side to the other with snaps and hooks.

Oops totally forgot the label!

19399702_10155491090986543_4772365751028338955_n.jpg

4. blubirdboutique

Here is a image another member found on facebook. Seems to be from 1949. The top is different but the bottom half seems to match exactly.

19420320_10211112742869344_645916025413554198_n.jpg

5. Ah, wonderful! You're absolutely right! Your label says "Ete 1949", which is the "Spring 1949", the season it was made. I had a Ete 1947 jacket from Lanvin once so I can confirm that they did it at this time.

Congrats! Lucky you: have a play with the collar and see how it works best. Great to find a similar style too: good work.

6. blubirdboutique

Thanks! :) Yes, it seems a bit stuffy the way I have it done.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Another great find for you! What is it made of? It looks like a fine wool which is just a bit unusual for ete, ete is actually summer in French.

9. blubirdboutique

Yes a week with Dior and Lanvin is a good week for me! :) And a first... ha. Yes, I do believe it's a wool blend, it's soft but heavier fabric. And I thought it was unusual too. Hmm.

10. Thanks MJ. You're quite right. I got used to it being for spring/summer (and also autumn/winter) from when I worked in fashion. Back when there were only two ranges a year.