1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating nightgown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jul 21, 2017.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I found this lovely thing in a thrift store. It's in sad shape. A lot of the seams have split open. I have googled and searched here for the label with no results. It has some odd diagonal seam towards the bottom on both the front and back, opposite sides. The fabric is heavy and silky feeling. The label says "Styled by Josie Narco rayon yarn." There are no buttons or snaps on the back but just an opening. Thank you for your help! IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG IMG_1625.JPG IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1628.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hmm... not sure about dating! My first thought was 60s, but I may be off - let's see what the others think.
    The "weird" seams are easily explained. That part of the dress was cut on the bias, but the fabric wasn't wide enough to cut the whole - hence that triangular insert. You usually get that in 1940s rayon slips.

acceber likes this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1636.jpg IMG_1635.JPG Thank you! That is so helpful to know about the diagonal insert. I love stuff from the 40s so anything that helps me identify things makes me happy. lol

I tried a different tack and just googled "narco ® rayon yarn" as is on the label and found two 1948 Narco rayon yarn ads, for what it's worth. It's the only thing I've found that comes close to this label.

Posting the back of the label. Thought it might be helpful somehow.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. Most everything I'm finding for "narco rayon" is from the 1940s, though I did find one ad from 1964 for a dress made from acetate and narco rayon.
    Love the color of your nightie! :wub:

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  5. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

Those colours are lovely. I agree with 40s.

6. Another vote for '40s.

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you very much! I sewed up the split seams down the sides and it's looking much better. It's a very long nightie! IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1643.JPG

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I feel as if we live in a world where sewing in general is underestimated. It's incredible how a few stitches here and there can drastically improve the appearance of a garment.

acceber likes this.
  10. Sheila Dawson

Sheila Dawson Registered Guest

If this helps the name NARCO stands for North American Rayon Corp,

StitchesandSnags and acceber like this.