1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SandiLee

SandiLee Registered Guest

Hi All!!! I have noticed a lot of sites popping up with vintage clip on earrings. What do you think about wearing them or having them fitted to posts for pierced ears? I have been sifting through the styles and they seem to have really good craftsmanship compared to costume jewelry now.

I saw fun ones that I was thinking about purchasing on these sites, what do you think? Is it worth it?
    Edited by administrators

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017
  2. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

I'd like to know as well, does anyone know how to convert from clip on to post? Is it easy to do?

SandiLee likes this.
  3. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Hi! I have successfully converted a few pairs of clip-on earrings to posts, using a method like the one here:

https://www.overstock.com/guides/how-to-convert-a-clip-earring

Here is the salient info from that page:

"No matter what you want to convert your old clip earring into, you’ll need to start by removing the clip.

• Remove the clip from the earring, using pliers or snips.
    • Smooth any rough edges left behind using a fine grit sand paper.
    • Clean the back of the earring with a soft cloth, warm water, and mild soap.
    • Dry the jewelry thoroughly.
    • Pierced earrings: If you want earrings for pierced ears, attach ear wires, posts, or hoops. You can use permanent jewelers’ or crafting glue to attach the findings. For post earrings, attach the posts to the center of the earring back, and for dangly earrings, attach the finding above the center of gravity. Heavy earrings may be top-heavy if the findings are centered. Position the finding near the top edge if possible when working with heavier earrings."
    I have had an easy time finding jewelry findings and tools at hobby stores in my area.

Good luck, and please post pictures of your project if you try it!

SandiLee likes this.
  4. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Thanks so much- very helpful!

SandiLee and Robin of Frocksley like this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I wear vintage costume jewelry earrings every day. Most of the time I wear clip-ons but sometimes I wear screw-backs. I have replaced posts with clips but have never replaced clips with posts. I am used to wearing clips - and for the most part find them comfortable. Some 1950's and 1960's earrings are pretty heavy and might be quite uncomfortable as posts.

I highly recommend against changing the clip-on findings of earrings that are really collectible - like any signed or recognizable pieces from the 1930s or 1940s - early '50's like KTF (early Trifari), Mazer, De Rosa, etc. There are unsigned pieces from this era that can be identified by the clip on findings used.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Linn - I would not change the findings of vintage earrings. I wear clip-ons too, though usually just for special occasions (they are normally more fancy anyway), and for every day I wear modern ones. I use a headset with my phone at work, clip-ons wouldn't be super practical either.

SandiLee and Robin of Frocksley like this.
  7. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I do agree with Linn and Karin that I personally would not convert any valuable or collectible earrings.

I personally find posts more comfortable to wear than clip-ons, so have happily and guiltlessly converted pairs for my own wearing pleasure! I look at it like altering vintage clothing to wear myself, better the piece be loved and used (and tailored correctly) than sitting unused.

SandiLee likes this.
  8. SandiLee

SandiLee Registered Guest

Thank you so much... I think for some of the cheaper ones I might change them... Some might make great pins the nicer ones I have seen pads for that might be worth ordering!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I forgot to mention the pads - they definitely help and are worth buying. My mom wears clip earrings only (modern and vintage) and she wears a lot of them with pads too.

10. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I have a stash of clip on earrings ranging from the 50s/60s.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I wear 'em as is, as found. I like keeping things untouched, you know.

Nansk likes this.