1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating ralph lauren polo sports jacket corduroy made in macau

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Dec 4, 2014.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Started asking about this jacket in another thread, thought I'd move it up for more feedback.....

wondering about the dating on this?
    Thanks alot,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. Amarc621

Amarc621 Registered Guest

I have the same jacket and have been trying to find out the same thing. I wish i had an answer for you and me both. Hopefully someone can help.

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I believe a lot of designers were getting their garments fabricated and pieced in Macau on the early2000s. So I'm not sure this is yet vintage though older RL is collectible.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    GemGem likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There was a year not that long ago when corduroy was hot again... I remember laughing about it at the time, because I grew up in corduroy in the 1970s. The jacket has a vintage style, so its hard to date, but I want to say maybe c. 2010?

GemGem likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

GemGem likes this.
  6. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Corduroy had a huge comeback in the late 90's, particularly colorful corduroy pants. Girls were generally wearing skinny wales and the "alternative" guys were wearing slouchy earth tone wide wales. I was a teenager (graduated from high school in 2000) and wore out many beloved pairs.

Thanks for the memory!

Distantdetails and GemGem like this.
  7. Robin of Frocksley

Couldn't resist sharing this, posted as 1995-1996..

[​IMG]

GemGem likes this.
  8. Robin of Frocksley

Just for clarification, I do agree with the experts that Lauren's jacket looks more modern.

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Corduroy is so classic, I think. I live in it all winter. : )

GemGem likes this.
  11. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

GemGem likes this.
  12. Gael & Briton

Gael & Briton Registered Guest

Laurenm,
    Not sure if you ever got a complete (satisfying) answer to your original question?
    In any event, there are some tells given the interior labeling that place your garment in a fairly narrow timeframe.

First, PRL did not make brown/olive drab wide-wale corduroy jackets for Spring/Summer seasons at any time. So, we know this is a Fall-issued garment (it's obvious from looking at it - but needed to be in evidence).

Second, note the "silver" thread used in the navy "Polo by Ralph Lauren" label. Beginning in Fall 2014, the Polo label effectively changed to using a yellow and navy label. See attached "post-2014" image of new label. So, with near 100% accuracy, I would say your jacket is no later than Fall 2013.

Third, prior to 2011, PRL manufactured garments based on intended destination markets. In other words, PRL garments designed and manufactured for the North American market were labeled one way, those destined for Europe or Asia another. During 2011, and thereafter, PRL started to merge market lines. Note your photo of the size tag which says "L/G". This indicates that the garment was intended to be available in North America and Europe (the "G" being romance languages' stand-in for "grande" or large). Although PRL was available in French Canada, labels prior to 2011 did not accommodate Quebec's language difference. So, we can be pretty sure that your jacket was manufactured for Fall 2011 but not later than Fall 2013.

Fourth, my personal knowledge of this particular jacket model (throat tab, bellows pocket, half-belted waist and bi-swing shoulders) puts the season squarely in the Fall 2011 to Fall 2013 range, as this model was not available in full retail PRL or partner stores for at least any of the preceding 5 years. And, having acquired one in the secondary market, new with tags, post-2014, I noted that the original hang/price tag utilized the gold lettered, narrow, glossy style. Prior to Fall 2007, PRL utilized an off-white, card-stock style hang tag, which was shorter and wider than the pre-2014 hang/price tags. I very much doubt this jacket could have been marketed any earlier than Fall 2007 as the absolute earliest (which is incredibly unlikely given all the foregoing).

I was a Bloomingdale's and then PRL employee during much of the timeframes discussed above, and also was and am a hobbyist of PRL.

I submit the foregoing to you in support of my conclusion that your jacket dates from approximately Fall 2011 to Fall 2013.

Attached Files:

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

GREAT info! Can you write a checklist for dating RL material? It would be HUGELY helpful!

14. Gael & Briton

Gael & Briton Registered Guest

Jonathan,
    A checklist would be nigh impossible to prepare.

PRL and other RL labels have changed so dramatically, and issued so many different sub-brand labels, since the 1980s, that, depending upon what garment-type (shirt, sweater, blazer, etc.), it really is impractical to put a list together.

This is typically the result of vendor change. For example, I could tell you that a PRL sweater made in the 1990s was manufactured by a different vendor than the 2000s. Subtle font differences in otherwise near-identical labels (in addition to RN number) would distinguish. But, on a suit or sport coat, the distinguishing markers would be very different.

I am happy to consult on individual garments - but a comprehensive list really just won't work.

15. bycin

bycin Guest

I'd be interested in reading this check list too. Thank you!!

16. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

What a generous offer to consult on garments. Thank you, Gael and Briton.
    Marian

17. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I understand - all that corporate knowledge in your head is REALLY important to people like us because it is so hard to date recent things because of the plethora of labels, and subtle differences beween countries, manufacturers, lines... Thanks so much for offering to help. I am going to photo all the Ralph Lauren labels I have questions about!

Jonathan

GemGem likes this.
  18. jimmywood

jimmywood Registered Guest

i have recently bought a vintage prl sport coat, could you please help me date it?

GemGem likes this.
  19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

GemGem likes this.