1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70s or 80s for this J.C. de Castelbajac pour Iceberg sweater/cardigan?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Oct 22, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Happy Sunday.
    Wondering if there's anything to put this on either side of the 70s or 80s which is when I believe he worked with Iceberg.
    Thanks for any help
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. I'll go with '70s on this one because of the labels.

3. The cloth band label looks more recent as do the style of the care symbols. The care symbols defy the order set out by Ginetex for all periods though. Puzzling.

Is there a content label?

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

The wool/cotton content is on that label but just a bit obscured by my large fingers!

5. Haha - I see it now!

I'm still puzzled. The labels look too sophisticated (for lack of a better word) for 70s or 80s. Still leaning to newer but not sure when. The style is so classic and variations on it are done all the time.

I've had 80s and 90s by him for Iceberg but the labelling was very different. Below is one from the 80s.

I look forward to what others think.

Screen shot 2017-10-23 at 11.28.20 AM.png

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Deborah, what type of garment is that? I want to grab this for the LR.

7. Sure thing MS - it's a 1980s womens sweater.

Here's a clearer shot:

Screen shot 2017-10-23 at 11.44.55 AM.png

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

From what i'm gathering, he was designing for ICEBERG until 1987 and then this past year did a collaboration and a line for them again, so that makes me tentatively conclude that the sweater would have to be 80s at latest unless it was from the new collection and the sweater certainly doesn't feel/look that new.....but is it possible they used those labels beyond his original tenure?

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...sets-capsule-collection-for-iceberg-10608703/

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  9. I really don't know, Lauren. Could be.

10. While going through the racks at a local thrift, I came across a jean jacket by Mossimo today that had the same type of cloth label as yours.
    It also only had 4 cleaning symbols like yours. Mossimo did not start until 1986. I just did an ebay search of Mossimo and came across
    a Mossimo Supply Co. micro ? mini skirt being advertised as vintage also with the same type of label and made in Bangledesh. I think those minis
    were in style again in the 90s and if clothing was being produced in Bangledesh during that time frame then I would date your sweater to the mid 90s at the earliest.

Look forward to what others think.

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

that iron care symbol looks older to me, not recent. I know what you mean about the labels looking sophisticated, but the handle shape and detail on the iron symbol are more like the older, 70s-80s, care symbols.

There are only 4 symbols, no drying symbol, which usually means pre 1985 or so. though clearly not always, because of Deborah's Mossimo label.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  12. It's a puzzler, Ruth. The label also has the water lines in the tub which is a post 85 addition. The symbols are also out of order with bleach being first and tub last. :puzzled:

13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I agree it's a puzzler!

I can imagine if companies were producing their own care labels, they wouldn't worry about the order too much.

Perhaps it is from around 1985, when things were changing.