1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me identify this fur please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Rock that frock, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Rock that frock

Rock that frock Registered Guest

Hello,

I have a vintage dress suit with the label Nathan Strong, so its a high end item. The problem is I don't know what type of fur surrounds the collar. It's brown, short,very dense and if you look at the bottom of the fur it's whitish. Can anyone help me? Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
    Joanne IMG_3147.JPG

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Joanne, It looks like shearling sheepskin. Can you please show me the full garment so I can confirm?

Rock that frock likes this.
  3. Rock that frock

Thank you for getting in touch with me. This file might be too big but I will give it a try.
    xx

Attached Files:

Mad Catter likes this.
  4. Rock that frock

Hi,

I was looking at the fur under a bright light. The fur is very short, not even a 1/4 inch thick. It's very very soft..if you rub it in the right direction it's very light gray or brown. I'm color blind so please bare with me. If you rub it in the wrong direction it's much much darker. Going down through the extremely dense fur it's very light possibly grayish. I hope that can help. I realize in the pictures it looks very dark. The suit itself is a grayish green.

Thank you,
    Joanne

5. peaceful vintage

Nice suit. I'm afraid the picture is actually too small. I'm not certain if you meant to, but the same collage photo was posted twice. I need to be able to see a larger and closer view of the jacket.

6. Rock that frock

green fur.jpg suit fur.jpg Hi,
    No, I didn't mean to. It's just that the file is too big. I'm also wondering if it could be mouton or sheared beaver? I'll try to take the photo down a notch and see if I can load it.
    Thank you,
    Joanne

7. peaceful vintage

Hi Joanne,

That’s better. You could refer to it as shearling and/or mouton. I am more inclined to say it’s shearling but both are sheared and come from sheep. Mouton is just processed differently and has an added water repellent.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  8. Rock that frock

Hi Caryn,

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I have been using an iPhone and iPad for years. I recently purchased a Mac and I'm learning as I go. I scoured the web searching how to modify the size of a photo. It took me some time but I managed to do it. Possibly by the time the desktop is obsolete I will know how to use it to its full potential. pcemotiAgain, I thank you and do enjoy your weekend!

xx
    Joanne

9. Rock that frock

HI Caryn,

I wasn't sure if the photos were taken in a way for you to see the fur properly. I'm not much of a photographer. I called my mothers old furrier in CT. which has been a family business for close to 100 years. Today I brought the jacket in and they inspected it. It isn't shearling. What it is, is sheared raccoon made to look like beaver. Mystery solved. I appreciate all the time you spent helping me. It's amazing what can be done with fur. I'm sure if you had seen it up close and in person you would have came to the same conclusion.

xx
    Joanne

10. peaceful vintage

My apologies if whomever looked at it was correct however I do disagree with the information that was provided.

11. Rock that frock

:cheer:No worries, I value your opinion Caryn! No need to apologize, you offered me your expertise and I am appreciative . I hope you can help me in the future.

Love your shops! peacock emoti

peaceful vintage likes this.
  12. peaceful vintage

You know the funny thing is that mouton was originally dyed and sheared to look like sheared beaver.
    I can tell the difference between the fur fibers however it’s interesting that the person or people who took a look at your collar provided their opinion as they did.