1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone help me identify this hat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andreea Cornea, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is it valuable

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Andreea Cornea

Andreea Cornea Registered Guest

i just bought this hat , and turns out it's a vintage hat by Anton Pichler Graz , made out of 100% wood and the interior margins of maroon leather . Besides that it has an inscription on the leather inside part that says " Hans Mariachef St. Johann I.Triol. and more , on the inside it had the original tag with the description of the material , the size , the color represented by a number , and a serial number . I really think I have something special in my hands but google wont help me find out . So please help

2. Hello and welcome, although we do not do valuations, we can help you date the hat. If you are able to take a few photographs of the outside and inside of the hat, we can help you with dating.

3. Andreea Cornea

Andreea Cornea Registered Guest

Thank you so much . I'm really curious about this hat .

Attached Files:

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I cannot see the tags very well, so I have a couple of questions. Are you sure the hat is wool, is it marked as wool? And what is the hat's size, please? As mentioned, we cannot give dollar values here on the Forum. However, I can say that in general, a wool hat is less desirable than a fur felt hat. If the hat is a large or larger than average head size, that increases the value in most cases. A size small hat will have less value, etc.

Hard to say the date as the photos are small and not very clear. It looks like a nicely made men's fedora hat from maybe the 1960's. What about this hat makes you feel it is particularly special? Is it something about the maker?

5. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

I think that last picture says "Wolle," which is "wool" in German.

6. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Also St Johann in Tirol -- Austrian.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is an interesting one! My first thought - this is the type of hat that goes with a traditional men's outfit of Tirol, which is a region of Austria. However, the maker of the hat was Anton Pichler, and he was in Graz - which is one of the larger cities in Austria. But Graz is not Tirol, but in Steiermark. Totally different region. Looks like your hat was probably more of a Steirerhut - a traditional hat from Steiermark. Check this out - image search for "Steirerhut":
    Code:
    https://www.google.at/search?q=steirerhut&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_7ZHO3OfYAhVDeKwKHTpzBF4QsAQIMg&biw=1536&bih=734
    A Google search for Anton Pichler turned up this - Josef Pichler & Söhne (Josef Pichler & Sons), a hat manufacturer in Graz - here's the German Wikipedia entry:
    Code:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Pichler_%26_S%C3%B6hne
    Well, it seems the company was quite successful, and even furnished royalty and nobility with hats. And one of Josef's sons was called Anton, and he was in the hat business as well. This article also talks about the company history only up until the 1940s.
    However, you might find this link even more interesting - it has old ads and newspaper articles, as well as lots of examples of hats both with the Josef Pichler and Anton Pichler labels (similar to the one in your hat):
    Code:
    http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/25-anton-pichler-hutfabrik-josef-pitchler-sohne/
    The post also shows hats that are dated to the 50s and 60s, indicating that the company existed longer than the Wikipedia entry suggests. Have a look through - it even shows Edward VII wearing an Anton Pichler hat! Maybe someone on that forum could give you more information on your hat, also regarding it's age.
    The site also shows hats where it seems the hat shop which sold it had it's name embossed inside - which may be Hans Mariacher (I think that's the correct spelling) of St. Johann.

I can also see several Anton Pichler hats being offered on German Ebay (ebay.de).

I can see that the last label says "Qualität - Wolle" so the quality/material is wool, but I cannot read what the rest of the label says - can you maybe post a clearer photo?