1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dress dating - 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all. I believe this crepe dress to be from the 40s, but is there a way to date it within the decade (if it is indeed from this time)? There is a metal side zipper and the shoulders look rather exaggerated because the dress form is a little too small in the shoulder/chest area.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bycin

bycin Guest

What does the interior finishing look like? Any shoulder pads and, if so, what do they look like?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is a lovely dress! I agree it would be good to see the pads.

It looks 40s to me and the color is stunning!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a beautiful dress and a fabulous color. I also see 1940s, judging from the photos anyway. Perhaps made after the war, maybe 1946.

It reminds me a little of the dress worn by the character of Violet in "Its A Wonderful Life". If my memory serves me, she wore a body hugging black satin dress with a similar fringe treatment on the front of the skirt of the dress.

5. I agree that it's likely to be post-War. If you can show us photos of the shoulder pads and side zipper we might be able to narrow it down a bit more.

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Is the crepe made of rayon? That heavier nubbier kind? Or is it lighter weight polyester crepe? I know I am going against the tide here, but every time I look at it, I see 1980's.
    Marian

7. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Of course, if it has a tag we could see - that would tell all. That low V waist doesn't look 40s to me. I'm with Marion on the initial impression. On the other hand - a side metal zip does NOT sound 80s! And what is going on in the back?

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Funny, as my first thought after a quickie glance was 1980s also. But the side zipper and back treatment (although we cannot really see that part in the photo) also looks 1940s, as does the sewing on the bodice area.

I am not 100% convinced this is 1940s, but I am strongly leaning to it.

Knowing if the crepe is rayon will be a clue.

9. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry for taking so long to get back! It's rayon :) No labels at all and I really don't think it's 80's based on construction. Here are some photos of the shoulder pads, zipper and general construction.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

10. Nancylou

Nancylou Registered Guest

I see 40’s but the shoulder pads look newer. Love that dress and the color!

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is 40s!!!

I have this one which is a little similar but I like yours so much more!
    Mine has the fringe all the way around.

Black Fringe Dress.png

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  12. Thanks for the extra pics. Yes, post-War but I don't that it's very far off that date so maybe '46-48? Stunning dress, great colour.

13. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am now much more sure after seeing closeups and construction that it is 1940's after all. I concur with Circa that it is late 1940's close to early 1950's. Lovely distinctive dress.
    Marian