1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify this fur?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ljk423!, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Ljk423!

Ljk423! Registered Guest

hello!

This fur was recently donated to my theatre company and I would so appreciate some help identifying the year of the coat, two types of fur used, and potential value.

Some info: the main fur is short, black and very soft. The collar is off-white with brown and slightly longer with a more coarse texture. It is about mid-thigh length.

It’s in fair condition, definitely pre-owned and worn often. The collar is slightly coming apart at the seam on the left shoulder in the back. It is missing one button on the bottom left side. It needs to be cleaned as there are some spots on the bottom. The fur itself is in great shape!

Any help you can give would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

The collar is mink but I cannot quite tell what body of the coat is looking at that photo. I received an email from you through my site also and there were two more photos but the size of those photos were too small for me to see the details as well as I needed to.

3. Ljk423!

Ljk423! Registered Guest

Oh! I’m sorry. I can’t seem to upload a bigger image but let me try again. I’ll use the form through the website again. Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

4. peaceful vintage

That's okay. I'll reply to your email as well but I'm happy to help you here. It's good for all of us to learn including me. :)

The collar is real mink but the look of the pile as well as the way it rests along the opening, and how the seam line was created at the cuff gives it a faux appearance. I am not completely sure yet though so if we can let's delve a little further.

Is the hem or the bottom of the lining completely sewn? If not can you look under the lining at the hind side, get a picture of it, and post it here? If you can't get an image if it's leather it's real, if it's fabric or some other material, it's faux.

If the bottom is not open can you separate the seam line of the cuff and show an image of that? I may or may not be able to tell from what I see there but let's try.

86539436-F294-452F-B842-37407F6B9680.jpeg

5. Ljk423!

Ljk423! Registered Guest

Hi again-

The lining is not completely sewn It is most definitely not leather and absolutely fabric. :hysterical: Must mean it's faux!

That's good to know that the mink collar is real, though. I wonder if you have any idea just by looking at the coat of when it was made or it's potential value (now that I know most of it is a big ole fake? :USETHUMBUP:) Most of the donations we received were from the 80s.

I have zero knowledge about fur coats so this has been really insightful.

Here's a picture just for giggles:
    IMG_2619.JPG

peaceful vintage likes this.
  6. peaceful vintage

I'm glad you were able to show us that. It is really great for everyone to see who visits and wants help determining if their furs are real or faux. It is indeed faux but yes the collar is mink. It dates to the 70s so that's close to the age of the other stuff you got.

7. Ljk423!

Ljk423! Registered Guest

Wonderful. Thank you so much for of your help!