1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appraising Antique Clothing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by BZSmith, Jul 16, 2018.

1. BZSmith

BZSmith Registered Guest

Does anyone have a good lead on how to get an item appraised? I have a few pieces that were my mom's from the early 1930's. I'd love to find good homes for them. Pictures later.

Ashers likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

For various reasons it is the VFG's policy not to evaluate items. However, there are options you can look at. If you are evaluating the items for insurance, then I would suggest asking the insurance company who they might recommend. Keep in mind that insurance values are usually double fair market values. Reputable evaluators will charge for their services, and probably (read - should), require handling the pieces in person - so think local or accessible. Some auction houses might do evaluations for you even if you aren't planning on selling the pieces through them but if they are busy they may brush you off, and the major auction houses probably wouldn't do it unless there was a promise or intention of consigning the pieces through them. You could call your local large museum that collects costume and ask if they have anybody they use themselves for evaluating acquisitions. There are online sellers like Style and Salvage, and Shrimpton Couture... and although they prefer to acquire things for resale, they may do evaluations for you (again, expect to be charged for the service). If you want free evaluations then you will have to do it yourself by looking at similar items for sale online at Etsy or eBay, and other venues, but keep in mind that the asking price is not necessarily the selling price. Also keep in mind that vintage and antique clothing is a volatile market - labelled couture seems to be holding or improving in value, but most other items peak and fall in value - and even if you have something wonderful, most items need to be desired, in excellent condition, rare and/or wearable to have the highest values.

3. Ashers

Ashers Registered Guest

Wow! I'm not the original poster but this is very helpful information. I am also looking to find good homes for a few items and haven't had any idea how to go about it. Thank you, Jonathan for giving me a nudge in the right direction! ☺