1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950's Canadian Capitol Brand Huron Tribe moccassin shoe box

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Pinkcoke, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

by the Indian Slipper Mfg Co. Ltd Loretteville, Quebec, Canada. No shoes unfortunately, but a nice kitsch box - it always amazes me how far shoes travel.
    DSCF2892.JPG DSCF2891.JPG

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The slippers would have been moccasin construction commercial leather, probably with a fringed fold-over tongue. Sometimes they had a little diamond of beadwork on the vamp.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1957-womens-shoes-02.jpg
    These are the best I could find - middle of second row from the top - that is similar to what that company made.

4. Antimaccasser

Antimaccasser Registered Guest

I found the box with the original shoe yesterday,

DSC_5625.JPG

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks for sharing the all original version with us!

6. Antimaccasser

Antimaccasser Registered Guest

They are adorable, with very little wear. Does anyone know anything about The Indian Slipper Manufacturing Company?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have a few sketchy notes about them in my Canadian shoe research. I found them listed in 1950 (but they were not in the 1938 directory, so they were probably founded some time after the war). They advertised in 1963 that they made hand-sewn moccasin slippers, apres-ski boots, and outdoor shoes under the labels Capitol Brand, and Running Deer. They closed or were bought out by someone else some time between 1963 and 1978, as there is a different company at their address listed in 1978.

Antimaccasser and Pinkcoke like this.