1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first Commes des Garcons! b/w striped top, coming up empty

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by hokeypix, Sep 16, 2018.

1. hokeypix

hokeypix Registered Guest

Hi all,

I usually deal with non-designer American vintage clothing 70s and earlier. This super cool striped Commes des Garcons top is obviously more recent, but I haven't a clue as to age, style name...nothing. I spent over an hour searching online for variations on Commes de Garcons + tricot + striped + top + zipper....you get the picture.
    tricot Commes des Garcons.JPG Commes des Garcons.JPG Commes des Garcons cu.JPG Commes des Garcons back.JPG
    I don't even know if it's a slinky top (as worn by my model) or a cardigan. (It looks great on her, I think!).

Any info at all would be appreciated. Ultimately I'd like to know what it's called and era (perhaps a style name or season?) in order to help me price it for sale.

Many thanks!

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

A shrug maybe? It's awfully cute and nice find!

Bumping this.

hokeypix likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hi, doing a little research I can see that the tricot line was active since at least 1987 when Junya Watanabe was promoted to head of the Tricot line.
    Tao Kurihara took over the Tricot line likely at the beginning of the 00's and then succeeded it to Kei Ninomiya likely in the 2010's

I love Comme Des Garçons, and that top is a dream!

I have a family friend who used to do a bit of catwalk modelling for them in the early 00's and the menswear lines were absolutely fabulous then. I recently saw the pictures of the catwalk my friend has and the top would actually fit for around that period as there seemed to be a fair amount of stripes and monotone with splashes of colour, but it could also be more recent as it's a recurring theme.

Maybe search the individual designers for style and design to see if you can find the period that way?

Any inner care labels? More recent items for Comme Des Garcons often have the year coded in the care label. I had a top from the s/s 2012 season and it had the season/year on the care label.

Just found this online which shows where the year would be on the care label...

[​IMG]

Gem

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    hokeypix and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  4. hokeypix

Thank you, Gem! Looking for the care label is a great idea. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find. I feel I've searched for every possible CDG + tricot + striped + top + shrug + cardigan combo and have had no luck. I wish there was a CDG archive. Actually, hmmm....maybe I ought to contact them directly? I had looked up Watanabe the other day, as his name kept coming up w/ striped pieces. This one striped dress I saw was one of the most amazing dresses I've ever seen.....oh man.....
    watanabe.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  5. hokeypix

Alas, no inner care tag.... When did they start putting them in? Btw the stripes are navy. and the fabric is very slinky.

GemGem likes this.
  6. Care labels started in the '70s: there should be one, have you checked all the seams, pockets etc? I'd be very surprised if there wasn't one.

CDG are not followers of fashion, but I'm getting a '90s feel from this piece, which is keeping with our Label Resource, which as similar labels from the '80s and '90s.

hokeypix and GemGem like this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

hokeypix likes this.
  8. hokeypix

I swear, I turned it inside-out, looked everywhere! :violins:(fun emoticons!). Is "crop top cardi" a good search phrase? At the end of the day, I've got an interested buyer (that lovely girl wearing it) but I'm hoping to find one other online in order to somewhat accurately price it. (And I realize it's verboten to ask for pricing on this forum). This has been giving me a wonderful education about CDG, which has been great! What amazing clothes.

Speaking of which, at some point I'll post about an Issey Miyake Pleats Please possible prototype. (Believe me, modern Japanese design is so outside of my area!). I'm an artist, and just about when they started their PP line, they found me through my agent and wanted to commission me to design an outer space-themed PP shirt for them. They sent me a blank shirt (long sleeved, silver/gray) and I messed around on it with chalk (easily to wash off) but it never went anywhere. I don't know if what they sent me was an unusual prototype, or just a generic long sleeved shirt thay were selling anyway....I'll repeat this all in a new post w/ a photo. It's never been worn, obviously.....thanks!

GemGem and poppysvintageclothing like this.