1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help dating this dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lulu Poppins, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

Hi, I have this dress and I am not sure about it's era.
    It has long zipper in the back, not metal, and any label. IT doesn't has inner lining neither...
    And it has very small pads.
    Probably 80s? But buttons are making me hesitate.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Hi Lulu, I see both '70s and '80s styling here. Can you please show a photo of the shoulder pads? It will help. Thank you.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  3. Lulu Poppins

Hi Nicole,
    Sorry for the delay. I needed to check the dress and I had it in another place.
    I went to look and I saw I was confused: it doesn't has shoulder pads.
    I guess this bring us to the late 70s? Do you think so?
    Thanks for your help.

4. Thanks Lulu. I’ll go with early to mid ‘70s then.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Are you sure that's not a tiny black metal tooth zipper? The dress would pass for c. 1950 in film -- If its not c. 1950, I would sell it as a darn good repro.

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It looks like a pretty modern zipper to me - but it's been sewn in by hand. Modern in replacement zipper in a vintage dress?

7. Lulu Poppins

Hi everyone!
    I think the zipper seems too flexible to be metal, but It's difficult for me to know becaiss I hardly ever find clothes that are older than the 70s.
    It's true that I see something different in this dress than what I am used to.
    I will look again the zipper. What a pitty that It doesn't have any label compositijc neither!
    It doesn't seem polyester. At least not only polyester.
    Thanks again!

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The fabric looks similar to a satin backed crepe, although I cannot really tell from the photos. Are the buttons metal, glass, or plastic? The length seems too long for 1970s or even early 80s, to me.

I am not much help, but wanted to comment for what it is worth.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There were some long vintagey looking dresses like that in the 90s - and even that vintage colour combination of blue and pink... I could see it being middly 80s if the shoulder line was stronger, and those buttons don't look right... it's an odd one.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  10. Looks like a 1980s dress. Could be home sewn with vintage buttons from a stash. If it's 50s, which it also could be, then probably just a replacement zipper, as people have suggested.

GemGem and Lulu Poppins like this.
  11. Lulu Poppins

Ok, Thanks for your help everyone.
    I will explain the digferent possibilities in the listing. Anyway your help is really appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. Lulu Poppins

Hi, don't worry, everything is appreciated. I've looked the buttons and they are not plastic, It seems ceramic. I didn't know until now, but yes, one of them is a bit shelled!

13. Vintagescarf Library

Vintagescarf Library Registered Guest

Hi Lulu,
    Its a 1970's dress probably mid 70's,the fabric is rayon (viscose) almost like a moss crepe ,the great indicator to the dress's age is the long zip at the back,and that the design is a 1930's revival style.Very popular of that era,film's such as 'Bonnie and Clyde ' ,enhanced the fashions of that decade to favor the 30's style.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  14. Lulu Poppins

I didn't know that in 70s they did this Kind of dress. A good chance to see the film. Thanks

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The skirt shape doesn't strike me as right for the 1970s - that tubular shape is more typically 80s/90s, or 40s/50s - If it was 70s I would expect an A-line, full, or if narrow, with deep slits probably up the sides.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I recall, and I wore, the 1930s revival dresses that were briefly popular in the early to mid 1970s. As Jonathan has mentioned, this does not look similar to those styles.

Also, "Bonnie and Clyde" came out in 1967, almost a full decade before the mid 1970s.

17. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

I also see 1950-ish.