1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'40s/'50s (?) taffetta dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 196t's, Dec 11, 2018.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

I've just got this dress, which is a family heritage (even though not mine, haha). My friend gave it to me and said her grandmother made it for her mother, and it has been worn by everybody in her family. As it doesn't fit anyone anymore, she decided to pass it on to my carings. Her mother wore it when she was fifteen and was about 5' tall, so the hem wasn't so short for her. It is handmade and has a double skirt (I don't know what it's called, maybe it's supposed to be some kind of petticoat?). Is it really made of taffetta? When is it from? Thanks for any help.

On dress form (it barely fit):
    2018-12-11 16.41.08.jpg

Seaming:
    2.jpg 6.jpg 10.jpg 4.jpg 2018-12-11 16.44.45.jpg 5.jpg

Waist:
    3.jpg

Laid flat:
    2018-12-11 17.20.43.jpg

Under the skirt:
    1.jpg

This is supposed to be a belt that goes through this and other strings:
    8.jpg 7.jpg

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Very lovely dress! I believe I'm seeing a moiré pattern, right? It looks like moiré faille to me. I don't know if that double skirt has a proper name, but I think of similar that I've seen as a separate underskirt with the outer layer gathered to show the underlayer. The underlayer is a lining fabric, with a wide band of the outer fabric at the hem.

196t's likes this.
  3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Could also be a moire taffeta - just a bit thinner and crisper than a faille. I'd have to handle it to tell. It looks like the waist was raised and lowered a a few times from the needle marks ( tucks were relased to make it longer waisted) - all part of the family history!

196t's likes this.