1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another dress finished!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I got this pattern in a lot I bought last year, and as it has all that I love about early to mid-60s fashion (bateau neckline, three-quarter sleeves and simple shape) - I had to keep it :). And since I'd just bought some genuine African wax print fabric (cotton) this is what I was going to make it from. Of course I hadn't thought when buying the fabric that I'd have to be very careful when cutting it due to the geometric print - typical me :duh2:. But anyway, as geometrically-challenged as I am (I got my lowest grades in school at that...), I made it! Symmetrically cut, matching patterns/lines at the side seams... phew! I had to adapt it a bit, so it's not quite a straight shift shape anymore, as I dont' have a Twiggy figure :hysterical:. Plus, I have lined the body of the dress - another thing I'm proud of as my last try at lining a dress went wrong the half way through! The fabric is very good to work with, nice quality cotton - and I have already worn it. Finished the last seam and wore it the next day on my business trip the week before last, as the weather was warmer than I'd anticipated.

IMG_20190317_192625[1].jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    cmpollack, 196t's, Shygarden and 9 others like this.
  2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I love it!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great work, Karin! Don't forget to get us a photo of you wearing it.

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

5. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

I love these kinds of projects. You did a great job! :)

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks all! No time unfortunately for photos the other week - and not sure yet if I'll pack it for Perth. Right now the weather over there is still looking very warm. But I will be wearing vintage or me-made things anyway :).

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's good pattern layout for the matching. Large patterns like that can be tricky. Very nice!

9. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

It looks as though you did an excellent job matching the pattern at the seams. Beautiful work and I'm not envious at all ;). One of my pet peeves is poorly matched seams, even in more expensive garments. Well done!

10. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member