1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with stretched out acrylic

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 196t's, Mar 25, 2019.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

I might have not been posting very often lately, but don't be mistaken, I read all the threads! xD
    I bought a late 1990s turtleneck for fall and it's 100% acrylic. The thing is that the sleeves are a bit stretched out after 20 years of use. I've already tried to wash it in cold water, but it didn't get any tighter than it was. When I fold my arms, it's like there's a lot more fabric than needed and it looks weird. I came across some tips such as washing it in boiling water, but the label says that it shouldn't be washed in temperatures over 40°C and I've also heard that acrylic when in contact with heat can stretch even more. What can I do to set it back to it's original shape? I know that it's not modeled the way it used to be because it's unlikely the previous owner had huge arms and a tiny waist.

Any tips are very appreciated.

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hmmm...although it might not be a great solution, the only thing I know to do is to tailor the sleeves down. I have had the experience of acrylic stretching from use and in warm water and or a dryer.

196t's likes this.
  3. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Thanks, Maggie! I'll see where can I tailor it so it looks best.