1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Identify Vintage Hawaiian Shirts

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by HatsEnough, Jul 22, 2013.

1. HatsEnough

HatsEnough Registered Guest

(Forgive me if someone else already posted this, but I found this little article interesting and thought you all would, too.)

From the earliest years when missionaries decided the native Hawaiian nakedness wasn't proper, the garment industry in Hawaii grew to be one of the most unique in the world. For tourists, these now vintage Hawaiian shirts became reminders of the carefree days on the beach, of hula girls dancing around a fire, or surfers riding the waves, or time spent just admiring the palm trees and unparalleled Hawaiian scenery. The preservation of memory is why the shirts produced became highly collected works of art displaying the flora, fauna, customs, traditions and history of the islands in a bold and colorful style that has lived on to this day.

The special attention and detail found in a vintage Hawaiian shirt makes owning one a true pleasure. This short guide to vintage Hawaiian shirts will help give you confidence in your ability to identify a vintage Hawaiian shirt in a world full of reproductions and new issues. With these simple guidelines below, anybody can learn how to identify a vintage aloha shirt with ease. Comfortable, colorful and addictive - these shirts demand to be noticed!

See the rest here: http://soundfoundation.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Identify-Vintage-Hawaiian-Shirts

2. Densworth (Denny)

Densworth (Denny) Registered Guest

Thanks for the post it was definitely quite informative and insightful. I would definitely try and find Hawaiian shirts for next summer.

3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Thank you HatsEnough. Another super resource! I also liked the vintage Levi's and Nike pages as well and have bookmarked them all.

4. That's really interesting. Thanks for posting. :USETHUMBUP:

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Great information. Thank you.

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

This is an interesting article, but the shirt with the "matched pockets" in the photo is not matched at center front. A CF match is imperative on a quality shirt.

A printing detail that was not mentioned is that many shirts are made with the lighter wrong side out. Some are simply the wrong side of the fabric, but others are printed so that the wrong side reads correctly.My guess is that the latter is a later design.

Quality wise--there is a big difference in the quality of the cotton fabrics. Some shirts are made of fine cotton yarns and quite soft. The cheaper the shirt, the larger the yarn and the crisper the fabric.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  7. Navdeep Dadwal

Navdeep Dadwal Registered Guest

Craze of Hawaiian in nowdays are growing day by day. So i have write an article on given topic to explain everything. How you'll identify vintage hawaiian shirt.

Link removed by Admin. Please read posting rules.