1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with Drindl blouse and dresses? Looking for info on drindl

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lulu Poppins, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

Hi, I have a blouse, which is from the Alps. I guess It's a drindl blouse but I'm not completely sure.
    It's made of cotton. The label says "Original Trachten Mode". It closes at the back with buttons.

Is there anyone who can help confirming if I'm right? I haven't seen so many drindl blouses to know if I am.

Also, it's difficult to date drindl dresses. Anybody knows where I can find info about them?

Thanks.
    Here it is the blouse:

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Dirndl outfits are difficult to date - like other ethnic festival-type garments, the styles don't change all that much.

The dirndl dresses, blouses, and aprons are big at Oktoberfests, and popular with tourists as well.

The photo of your label is a bit blurry, but based on font and colors used, my instincts say it was produced within the last 50 years. I know that's a huge range! Hopefully, others will be along with more help.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  3. It appears to be a 1960s "sissy" blouse as we called them. Made to resemble a Victorian style bodice.
    I dont think I would call it dirndl.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  4. MagsRags

The reason I agreed with the "dirndl" designation is because of the "trachten" designation on the tag. Wikipedia has a fairly good overview on this.

On a quick look around, it looks like modern makers are mostly focusing on the "crop top" style blouse. I have an older version of the crop top blouse in my stock with a different trachten label.
    tostmannshirta.jpg
    tostmanntaga.jpg

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I go to Germanfest here every year and I see that type of blouse worn (and sold) to go with the vests and skirts that make up the outfits.
    Other styles are worn and sold as well.
    Just google dirndl or dirndl blouse on the web and in images and you will see similar things.
    Your blouse is difficult to date but it could be 1960s.
    ETA - while this may not be a traditional dirndl blouse this type is definitely worn at this particular Germanfest.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a dirndl blouse is usually just a short thingy like a crop top, because you wear it underneath the actual dirndl and most of it will be covered by the dirndl bodice. But this blouse has a back that wants to be seen - worn with a normal dirndl, this would be covered by the dirndl bodice back. So I think this blouse is more fashion inspired by traditional clothing, and would have been worn only with a skirt.

Are there any other tags or labels? How is it cut, all straight, darts or no? And what is the bust measurement? That might help with dating, when relating to a vintage size 40.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  7. Lulu Poppins

Thanks to you all, ladies.
    "trachten mode" makes me think of drindl, but I also think It has a victorian style, as anothervintagetimeapparel mentions.
    I will probably use both words in the tags adding the word "style" as I'm not sure. I don't usually find any real victorian garment neither, but looks like it has at least an influence on it.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. Lulu Poppins

Most of the drindl blouses are usually cropped... So It seems a good idea to match it with a skirt, as you say. I will measure the bust, I didn't do it yet. I will come back to post it when I do, thank you.
    It doesn't have any more labels and it has no darts...

9. Lulu Poppins

Thank you, at least I know that it can be older than what I usually find!
    I edited a bit the label, just what I could (I don't have the blouse with me now).

Attached Files:

10. MagsRags

Be sure you use the correct spelling when you list it - "dirndl" as opposed to "drindl", so it turns up in search for those who are looking for the Octoberfest/folk costume.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  11. Lulu Poppins

Oh, wow! I hadn't even realized that I was spelling It wrong and I definetly review that on my listings.

Thanks so so much!

MagsRags likes this.