1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unique "Handbemalt" (Hand Painted) Skirt Identification Help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mollzonmarz, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Mollzonmarz

Mollzonmarz Registered Guest

Hi VFG friends!
    I purchased a gorgeous hand painted skirt this weekend at an estate sale and am having a tough time researching it. Would love to hear any thoughts on the era, artist/designer, or any other insights that come to mind! Looking forward to hearing what y'all think.
    Thanks!
    -M

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Very pretty. This skirt reminds me very much of a home craft popular in the 1970s for hand painting fabric and clothing. The most popular maker of these kits and paints was ChemArt if I recall. The style of the skirt is 1970s as well. My mom made a lot of things similar with her ChemArt paints in the 70s.

Jonathan and Mollzonmarz like this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. The Old Leaf

The Old Leaf VFG Member

Very pretty paintwork. 1970's comes to mind for me also. In the Philadelphia area in the 70's, like Tupperware parties, there were Tri-Chem paint parties where a rep would come to the home, do a demo, and take orders along with the party hostess. Tri-Chem still makes fabric paints in tubes. Back then, they also sold kits which included fun designs to paint along with the paint tube colors required to make them. Oversized butterflies were very trendy back then too.

Retro Ruth likes this.