1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

[​IMG]

I have found that in times when our world seems to be completely messed up, it helps to perform a small act of kindness. .

You might recognize Oscar de la Renta on the right, but who is the woman with him? You may not know her name - Magda Makkay - but chances are you have seen her work. She designed handbags for Koret in the 1950s and 1960s (after having escaped from communist Hungary hidden in the back of a truck) and in the 60s she started her own line of fine handbags.

I've had the pleasure of talking with Magda on the phone over the past six years. She's doing well, but she has a major birthday coming up. She'll be 95! Will you join me in wishing her a happy birthday? Magda does not use the internet, but she loves getting mail. Please join me in sending her a birthday card.

I don't want to give out her address so I have set up a post office box in my name, and then I will put them all in a box and forward them to her. Her birthday is in the last week in June, so if you want to participate please get your card in the mail so that it will reach me by June 16. Address your card thusly: .

Magda Makkay
    c/o L. Bramlett
    PO BOX 493
    Clyde, NC 28721

Thanks so much. Magda is a lovely person, and this will surely make her birthday special!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is wonderful! I would be happy to send her a card.

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

She is a lovely lady, and wrote back to me the last time. Since she's a stone's throw away, I still have her address and will send her a card. Thank you, Lizzie.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  5. Would love to send a card to wish her a very Happy Birthday and will try to do so this week. Thanks, Lizzie.

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Just a quick reminder. Please join in with the kind people who have sent cards thus far.

Thanks, Lizzie

7. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

And a big thanks to you, Laura. Magda just called, all excited because she got your card!

8. Will be mailing mine on Monday!

9. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Bonnie, many thanks.

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Just read this Lizzie - will do right away. Does she live in North Carolina? I know how much "seniors" appreciate mail.

11. Posted her card today, Lizzie! Hope you get it soon and hope your kind efforts bring much joy to Magda. She's so lucky to have you for a friend!

fuzzylizzie likes this.
  12. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

No, she's in New York, just a few blocks from Laura, actually!