1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Sports Coat Age & Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by steve w, Jul 10, 2020.

1. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

I dug this out of one my trunks and have no recollection where I got it from so cant really pin it down to a period but its a 3 button opening sports coat with working buttons on all pockets so I am assuming 60's - 70 's, from the cut etc..?
    The label inside appears to be M.A . and it was sold by Blyden - Murray Clothiers New York , a google search did not bring me any info on either label and I am wondering if anyone knows the maker M A ? There is a union label inside.
    Thank You- Steve

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The union label will help with dating if you can show that. The wide collar suggests 70s to me, but others know their menswear better than I do.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I think M A are the jacket owner’s initials. When I have a few minutes I will see if I can find any bits for you about Blyden-Murray.

4. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

IMG_2402.jpeg
    True - Here it is

5. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Thank You !

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I agree there seems to be little information out there about Blyden Murray, but I found a few small references. Here is one little 1958 item re Blyden Murray renting a space in NYC:
    BlydenMurrayRentsNYSpaceClip1958.jpg

7. Can you show the back. And does it have a full inside back lining or just a half lining.
    I am getting a late 1960s feel

steve w likes this.
  8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

1) I found a 1942 WWII draft registration card for 41 year old Dominick Paion, from Italy., who worked for Blyden Murray at 45 W 41st Street in NYC. Perhaps he was a tailor working for them?

2) I found this 1959 NY city directory entry for Blyden Murray "tlrs" (tailors):
    BlydenMurrayNYCCityDir1959.jpg

3) I found what seems to be a transcription of testimony for a 1952 Air Force Special Investigation, in which someone said: "For approximately twenty years, he has been buying his clothes from one Blyden Murray of New York City." (Note: The emphasis is mine)

Ranch Queen Vintage and steve w like this.
  10. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Hiya - here is the back - single vent and its half lined with this great blue poly silk lining .Yea I think I will go with late 60's.

Attached Files:

11. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

12. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Oh wow ! you are amazing ! Thank you --

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see early 1970s on this jacket, just a feel I get after living through that decade. We used to call this a "Johnny Carson" jacket due to the cut and pattern but some folks today ask me "Who is Johnny Carson?". :hysterical:

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  14. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Great thank you -- I actually saw an old ad yesterday with Johnny Carson modeling some very mod clothes - so I can imagine him in this !

15. Yes, the fake Norfolk band in the back came out in 1970s. Johnny Carson is right!

steve w and The Vintage Vendeuse like this.
  16. steve w

steve w Registered Guest

Here's Johnny ...From an ad in a 1970's Playboy Mag.

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.