1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Africa - 35th Anniversary-The VFG Fashion Parade for the week of August 10th

Discussion in 'PUBLIC VFG Fashion Parades' started by carla rey, Aug 9, 2020.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Out of Africa - 35th Anniversary

"I had a farm in Africa..." So begins the memoir of Karen Blixon, a wealthy Danish woman who relocated to colonial Africa in the early 1900s to start a farm with her new husband. The film, loosely based on the autobiography by author Isak Dinesen (Blixon's pseudonym),and starring Meryl Streep, spans the years between 1913 - 1931, focusing on Karen's life in Kenya and her love affair with the free-spirited adventurer Denys Finch Hatton, played by Robert Redford.

Released in 1985, the epic romantic drama won 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Whether the film's plot and politics would be readily accepted in today's more socially-conscious climate is up for debate. What has stood the test of time are the swoon-worthy costumes Milena Canonero designed for the film, winning her both the American and British Academy Award. The meticulously researched pre-Africa outfits are stunning, but it's the clothing worn in the wilds of Kenya - so perfectly embodying Blixon's independent personality, that spawned a safari sportswear mania at the film's release, and continues to provide inspiration for present-day collections of countless fashion designers.

This week, as we revisit Out of Africa 35 years after its release, the VFG is on the hunt for soft linen and crisp cotton in shades of khaki, white and brown, duster coats, riding boots, safari jackets, midi skirts, jodhpurs, pith helmets and wide-brimmed hats - all manner of vintage fashion fit for an epic adventure.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2024
  2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

-For your own interpretation of the safari look - some pattern ideas:

Simplicity 4256_1(1).jpg
    1950s blouse pattern Simplicity 4256

s881327600489459141_p7_i5_w570.jpeg
    1950s shirtwaist dress pattern Vogue 9326

s881327600489459141_p126_i3_w490.jpeg

1970s tunic top, dress and pants pattern Simplicity 7649

4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

7. Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Photos are clickable links

On Etsy, a Moschino safari-style dress in olive drab green
    moschinodressa.jpg

And a 70s jersey knit blouse done in a novelty print depicting predators and prey on the African veldt.
    [​IMG]

At magsrags.net, this 70s does Edwardian velveteen jacket and midiskirt by Suzy Creamcheese of Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

And in my prep basket, these are WW2 paratrooper boots, but they would look right at home in the grasslands of Kenya
    endicottflat.jpg

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The movie is one of my all time favorite for costume watching and coveting. Everything is delicious and perfectly done for the movie.

What a great idea for a Parade! :USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP::USETHUMBUP:

11. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

omgosh, that detailing!!! those "bows"!!!

13. The Vintage Merchant

these are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!

beatingHeart

MagsRags likes this.
  14. The Vintage Merchant

15. This is also one of my favorite films for the costuming and the handsome Robert Redford.
    So romantic.

Such fabulous examples above

16. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member