1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for 40’s or 50’s size chart conversion?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by abigailgrace, Aug 10, 2020.

1. abigailgrace

abigailgrace Registered Guest

Hello! I’m relatively new to crocheting and a friend of mine gave me some old but good patterns from her stash! There’s one in particular that I want to try but would like to understand the sizing. Only thing is it’s from 1948 specifically, not sure if that matters. If anyone has had luck finding a size chart for that time and for baby/children sizing please help!

Attached Files:

The Old Leaf likes this.
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Is it children's shoe sizes you are looking for? Or gloves? Or both? And USA sizes?

I think shoe sizes haven't changed as much as clothing sizes over the years, but hopefully someone else can confirm this.

I think it's safe to assume that 0 is for newborns.

The Old Leaf likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Also if the pattern gives a gauge tension (stitches and rows per inch) you may be able to work out the measurements of the finished article from that.

I also knit and crochet sometimes from vintage patterns.

The Old Leaf likes this.
  4. The Old Leaf

The Old Leaf VFG Member

In sewing patterns for childrens clothes from the 1940s through today, not much has changed in size standards, unlike ladies clothes patterns which have changed sizing a number of times thru the decades.

In Simplicity patterns from the 1940s, a Size 1 is Chest 20 / Waist 19.5. This is close to today's standard for 12 Months. Likewise a Size 2 is Chest 21 / Waist 20, comparable to today's Size 2 or 24 Months.

Layette patterns for new babies from the 1940s, typically consisted of a christening gown, bonnet, bib and jacket, were sold as "One Size." So there usually wasn't a differentiation for Preemie, Newborn, 3 Months and 6 Months like there is today. That tells me, by 1940s standards, a Size 0 would have been the only option for any baby under 12 months. And I guess that since a baby isn't actually walking in the bootie at that age, one size was close enough.

Attached file shows size information from a 1940s Simplicity pattern for Children's sizes 1 to 6.

Attached Files:

5. AndrewBridges

AndrewBridges Registered Guest

When I first started out on my vintage love I didn't even look at labels, ... Here's a sizing chart from the 1930s to give you an idea – all ... I found a nice graphic from the '40s about how to measure yourself, that ... Here's the earliest numeric chart I could find, and it's from 1971 and includes a handy conversion.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020