1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly Reworked Marimekko?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joji Furukawa, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I’m a huge Marimekko fan and when I saw this dress listed for sale, I recognized it as the iconic Albatrossi design by Maija Isola. This dress’s design is also very similar to one in the collection of the FIDM Museum as well as to the one in this image from the Marimekko 1973 catalogue. The main differences are the 2 front pockets and the number of buttons up the back. The construction and lack of labels leads me to believe this dress was homemade as I know Marimekko labels are very detailed. However, I’m wondering if it might have been reworked. For one thing, there are seams that appear to have been removed and then re-sewn. As well, the pattern on the dress aligns almost perfectly in the back which I know doesn’t automatically mean the dress was commercially produced but it’s an interesting detail. I realize that these forums aren’t for authentication but I’m just wondering what you guys think of the construction and details. Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Files:

lkranieri and Retro Ruth like this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Joji, I'm a huge fan too, and LOVE this.

It sure seems possible, what you say about it being reworked. Is the construction all over like what we see in the 4th photo, or does it vary? I wouldn't want pockets on this print—unless they perfectly matched up with the print (which would be cool). And I agree with you that the match in the back is rather hard to set aside as a clue.

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  3. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

It’s pretty consistent throughout, I know Marimekko usually has very neatly serged seams so the zigzag finishing on this one makes me think it was homemade. It has me stumped! Maybe I should contact Marimekko directly. Unrelated, a few weeks ago I ordered a duvet cover set in the Unikko print. I’m obsessed!

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I love the print as a bed cover—I'm totally jealous.

I think contacting Marimekko is a splendid idea! You have to let us know if you hear back from them.

Joji Furukawa likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Another Marimekko fan here :cheer:! That is a fabulous find. Yes, that seams definitely looks changed, and I would agree that that zig zag finish is homemade. Are there any other parts in the construction that look like they were commecially done? The other thing I could imagine is, that someone saw the completed dress in the catalog and decided to make their own dress in the fabric they like, and bought a similar pattern to do so, and that dress was altered later. It's not a complicated design and I am sure one would have found a pattern that was similar enough or that could be altered. I guess the question is if this dress was ever produced in this fabric... I would contact Marimekko too.

denisebrain likes this.