1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: HANDBAGS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

Aloha, and welcome to the second “episode” of “SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE. Starting today and over the next two weeks we will be sharing our vintage handbags. All VFG Members and Registered Guests are encouraged to participate! You may show up to four items. Please remember to follow the Forum rules – no links to pieces for sale from Registered Guests. We hope everyone will share some of your favorite handbags.

If you haven't posted before, please tell us a little bit about yourself - if you'd like to!

The first "vintage" handbag in my collection is probably an "antique" now. I acquired it when my mother passed away but I don't think it was hers - probably my grandmother's or my aunt's. It's a C. 1920s beaded bag. I haven't used it much but I have used it - and treasure it.

[​IMG]

I bought this Alligator bag in 2005 at the Art Deco Show in San Francisco. I still love it. It's C. 1940s.
    [​IMG]

This Whiting & Davis Cream Aluminum & Celluloid Bag is C. 1930s. I have had it since 2007 and have used it a lot.

[​IMG]

I've used this C. 1940s Corde purse with a Lucite handle many times, as well!

[​IMG]

Please share your favorites!

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Might be my favorite vintage item Linn, and yours are FABULOUS!

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I have so many handbags I don't know where to start. But I'll be back! Linn, I love your blue beaded one.

4. thespectrum

I'll start with my two favorite 1950s figural animal wicker handbags. I have never carried either one.
    The 1960s strawberries/wicker Souré handbag is one I wish I had kept.
    3WICKER.jpg

5. Linn

6. thespectrum

Thanks Linn! Here are six of my favorite lucite handbags.
    6LUCITE.jpg
    Stylecraft of Miami, unmarked, Wilardy, unmarked, Llewellyn and DorsetRex.

7. Linn

MS - They are fabulous. Thank you for sharing them. I have some Lucite jewelry (mostly "jelly bellies") and lucite handles on a few handbags but no Lucite bags!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing more great vintage handbags!

8. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Love everyone's gorgeous bags!!!

Here are my favorite Enid Collins bags:

20200910_115032.jpg

and this is my very favorite of my embarrassingly large collection of floral handbags. I collect these as I am an avid gardener, and this one is such an ode to flowers!

20200910_115135.jpg

9. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

GAHHHHHHH.

10. Linn

Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your incredible collection!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  11. denisebrain

I have many (many many) bags! I designed and made vintage fabric bags before selling vintage fashion. I am always seeking vintage handbags of all sorts. Among my favorites are Enid Collins Pax:
    BeFunky_VintageColors_1.jpg.jpg

This 1950s scrubby nylon bag, like something you'd clean your pans with:
    P5304815.png

This vinyl bag with travel scenes, confetti and sequins
    BeFunky_VintageColors_1b.jpg

and I love my child's terrier bag. His name is Scruffy:
    P5304754.png

12. thespectrum

13. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

14. denisebrain

Laura, the only thing better than my terrier handbag would be a real live Scruffy! runningdogemoti

I love @Robin of Frocksley's Enid collection displayed on the wall.

If anyone's bored :hysterical: you might get a kick out of my Pinterest bored board which is my fantasy bag collection Grab Bag.

15. Linn

16. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

Seriously, that art deco bag...YUMMY!

17. thespectrum

Giving this a bump so we can see more handbags!
    And as long as I'm here...
    BLACK-METALLIC.jpg
    A 1950s reversible velvet clutch with Zardozi/bullion embroidery, 1930s Lewis black satin bag with gold seed beads and embroidery, a 1950s Zardozi/bullion embroidered evening purse (no labels) and two more 1950s velvet clutch bags from India with Zardozi/bullion embroidery.

18. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Our Oscar is a blk version of your terrior bag. He's a schnoodle and needs to visit the groomer. Your bag is adorable!

denisebrain likes this.
  19. Linn

Thanks, MS - they are fabulous!!! I'd like to see lots more handbags, too. You can continue to post to this thread but we will "focus' on a new topic on Tuesday.

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Is it too late to add a photo to this thread? I finally remembered to take a photo of the Maurice wood handbags my husband just loves tripping over as he goes up and down the stairs. Most of them date to the early 1980's and the maker, who was a high school French teacher who later became a wood craftsman, died in Mississippi in 2012.
    MauriceBagsStepsStencil.jpg