1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage cleaning issues..

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Blondzai, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Blondzai

Blondzai Registered Guest

I’ve been using this time off work to make my way through my boxes of vintage that needs laundering. I’m kinda new to this and it’s definitely a learning process. I’ve already ruined quite a few things just with water. Things that I thought would be fine in water and then when I take it out and dry it I realize there is a splotch of dye now gone from the garment. Are there any indicators that a fabric will do this? I’ve had it happen to wool, cotton and satiny type fabrics too. Any insight welcome I can’t keep getting hit with all this heartbreak

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I lost a lovely cashmere sweater that way. Testing for dye fastness with a moist cotton swab will help weed out some things. But on the whole, if you get it wet, you take a risk. Over time, and costly trial and error, I have gotten a feel for what might be best left alone. So I try to err on the safe side now!

Jonathan likes this.