1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: PATRIOTIC/POLITICAL SYMBOLS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

With Election Day just two weeks away in the US, most of us are either preparing to vote or have already voted. Here in Hawaii we vote by mail. I received my ballot about two weeks ago and have already turned it in. Today and for the next two weeks, SPOTLIGHT on Vintage will be focusing on pieces that relate to either political symbols or patriotism. For those of you outside of the US, please share any vintage pieces you have that pertain to YOUR country - national costumes, colors, hats, jewelry, etc.. Please DO NOT show any current or recent partisan campaign pieces.

All of these pieces are in my personal collection except the Zentall eagle which I sold.

[​IMG]
    US Flag Pins

The flag on the left has a year to go to be vintage. I bought it after 9/11 in 2001. The other flag pin was my father's wife's and is C. 1940s or 1950s.

[​IMG]
    Zentall Eagle Brooch

[​IMG]
    V-Pin
    This symbolizes the partnership between the US and Great Britain. It may have been made prior to the US entering WWII.

I'm not sure this was meant as a political symbol - but I think it's pretty fun:[​IMG]

C. 1940s Copper Donkey pin.

I look forward to seeing what YOU have. And most important: VOTE!!!

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

My 1960s vote barrette
    vote.jpg.png

This dress of mine dates to the 1964 presidential election
    donkeydresslisa1b.jpg

And I second that VOTE!

3. Linn

I LOVE both the barrette and the dress! I just thought of a couple more "symbols" in my collection: These Scotties refer to Fala, FDR's dog.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I immediately thought of Mary's listing in "Fresh Vintage" - these two Liz Claiborne sweaters she is offering in Marcy's Closet on Etsy. (update: the navy blue sweater has now sold, thank you!) xo

WBUC4328.jpg

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I thought of this scarf immediately. It is from my sold archives.
    ILIKEIKE.jpg

An Edwardian sash pin - a piece of patriotic Canadian jewelry, also sold.
    mapleleafovala.jpg

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

tinguely5.jpg tinguely6.jpg
    This silk tie which I sold some time ago was designed by Swiss artist Jean Tinguely for the 700 year anniversary 1991 - as the label says "pour l'Etat de Vaud" it seems to have been made for some kind of official function in the canton of Vaud.

7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I recently sold these 1996 Margaret Jerrold flats to an eager young voter! Look how cute the donkey is in his little suit!
    il_794xN.2262239885_mv02.jpg il_794xN.2262239619_i14m.jpg

8. A hidden message or mystery writing necktie from the 1950s.
    I Like Ike. For President Eisenhower.

vintage 50s tie I Like Ike,president,eisenhower,skinny tie,red.jpg

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

10. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

A (sold) 1970s halter top, probably circa 1975-1976 during the Bicentennial.
    tha.jpg

I think this qualifies - a (sold) 1950s military tour jacket, this is the back of one side:
    korea-japang.JPG

11. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Bi-centennial costume pattern from 1974, coming to our Authentic Vintage Patterns shop on Etsy (as soon as we get her pieces counted):

IMG_5296.JPG

denisebrain, MagsRags and Vinclothes like this.
  12. Midge

13. Linn

These are great! I look forward to seeing more! I have a number of campaign signs in my garage but they fall into the "too recent" category. I think I have some older campaign buttons somewhere - but I'm not sure where!I

I told my sister about this thread and feature, She told me that she gave a "Stevenson shoe" to a high school classmate. (It was our mother's.)

Here's an image from the Internet -1952:

upload_2020-10-23_11-0-1.jpeg

Attached Files:

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

1968 Democratic Election Peace Canadidate - Eugene McCarthy
    This was quite a sad year...we lost both Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  15. Midge

Took me a while to remember... sold this 70s pattern a while ago, I guess this walks the line between Bicentennial and general prairie dress fashion:
    Butterick 5939_2.jpg

mccall 1759_2.jpg
    And this 50s pattern was advertised as square dance or Centennial dress.

16. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I'll be listing this on Etsy soon - it's by JC Penney, part of their Towncraft Boys line. I feel reasonably certain it must have been made in honor of the Bicentennial. If you squint, the garments the people are wearing look an awful lot like stars & stripes, plus the colors. Very Brady Bunch to my eyes.
    towncraftboysback.jpg

17. Linn

Eileen - these are great! Can you post the images here rather than the links?

18. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Highlights from my VOTE theme window at my shop:

50s Pendleton jacket with 80s skirt
    20201024_143302.jpg

60s Boucle sweater with 40s knit skirt
    20201024_143247.jpg

70s Levi's chore jacket with 50s floral skirt
    20201024_143228.jpg

70s painted leather belt
    20201024_143342.jpg

90s Escada gold star pencil skirt with modern shirt
    20201024_161752.jpg

And my backdrop, a vintage cotton flag
    20201024_143137.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  19. Linn

Thanks! I loved the flag - if you can include that too!

20. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Foleydress.jpg

I purchased a red and blue corduroy dress with white letters spelling FOLEY a couple years ago, and this photo came with it. This shows Henry Jackson who was a Washington State Senator (1953-83) and Tom Foley, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Congressman from the district I live in for 30 years. Although these are young girls, I have the dress in a size that an adult would wear.