1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2020

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Information Center - Welcome to the Forums' started by The Vintage Merchant, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Historyhunter

Historyhunter Registered Guest

Hi! I found VFG while searching for information on the Loma Dress Company in NYC. A user "Gossamer" posted the history she uncovered about Loma from one of their labels. I am an Historian who offers live and virtual presentations about the bits of hidden history I've uncovered at Estate/tag/garage sales, etc. I have a "Dear John" letter written by a daughter of the owner in 1942, which paints an amazing story of relationships between soldiers and strangers during the war. The research Gossamer did, has added to my knowledge about the background of the company and the period. I have started a conversation with her in the hopes that I can share my discovery with her. I also come across vintage fashion items (books, papers, photos, etc.) and I look forward to sharing them in the attempts to create more additions to my "Stories from the Attic." You can see more at my site: www.foundastory.com

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello @Historyhunter—It is so good to have you here! What you are doing seems fascinating, and I can definitely say we'd be intrigued by, and try to help you with, your Stories from the Attic.

Historyhunter likes this.
  3. shuvasishphotography

shuvasishphotography Registered Guest

Hello ,
    I'm kind of new here. I've been registered for a while and did some research, but this is my first time posting. want to know more about this forum

4. Erika Lara

Erika Lara Registered Guest

Hello all! I'll try this again. My name is Erika and I love vintage, thrift shopping and just admiring clothing from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Growing up in Los Angeles I have come across some vintage finds while thrift shopping and I'd like help in dating some of them. Thank you for putting together these resources. The label resources was especially helpful for dating other items.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Welcome Erika!

6. denisebrain

We're happy to help you date your thrift shop finds @Erika Lara! :)

7. denisebrain

helloemoti Welcome Kathryn!

8. Angela Taylor

Angela Taylor Registered Guest

Hi This is my first post to the forum. I am doing some family research and am trying to find information about the two London fashion houses where my mother worked in the 1920s and 1930s.
    After leaving school, she went as an apprentice to Bradleys at 1 Cheptsow Place, London W2. Later, she moved to The White House at 51 New Bond Street. I believe she also did some photographic modelling and was photographed by the Bassano Studio. I have seen hundreds of negatives and am still trying to establish which ones are her. After the War, in about 1948, she went to Johannesburg to open a branch of The White House there.
    So I wonder whether there is any way to pull all this together - perhaps by tracking down the archives of the fashion houses?
    If anyone has any suggestions for further research - or information - I should be most grateful.

denisebrain and Retro Ruth like this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Welcome Angela! Can I suggest you start a new post about this in the Q&A forum, where more people are likely to see it, here: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-vintage-fashion-ask-questions-get-answers.39/
    Just click the link above, and click Post New Thread at the top right.
    Some of our members have access to newspaper archives that can provide useful information.

denisebrain likes this.
  10. Lorraine Bocharova

Lorraine Bocharova Registered Guest

Hello all!
    So glad to be here, my name is Lorraine. :)
    I came across VFG when I was looking for a label for the recent vintage piece purchase. What an incredible website and the knowledge the community provides!
    Thank you all!

11. denisebrain

Welcome to you Lorraine! :hiya: I’m so glad you found us.

12. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hello! I've just registered and hae been a fan of late 60s and early 70s styles for awhile. I'm a collector and recently a seller. I just opened up a shop on Instagram and etsy.

I'm here to learn and research and ask questions to help id my beloved items!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2020
  13. denisebrain

Hello SusieQsie! I had to remove the selling details from your post because we have a rule that no guests may share links to selling sites or items that they are selling. (More about forum rules: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/)

That said, you are most welcome here! I am a big fan of 1972-74 especially—I love the retro nostalgia. Looking forward to seeing your beloved items and helping answer your questions.

14. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Hi no problem, I see people have links in their bios though, is that allowed?

15. denisebrain

Yes, but only for trade members.

16. wildirish

wildirish Registered Guest

Hopefully I am not out of order posting this question here-- I am trying to figure out how to navigate the forums. :)

17. denisebrain

18. snake_eyes

snake_eyes Registered Guest

New to the forum. Fashion has never quite been my interest, but I like old things. Looking for info on an item I stumbled across, and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

denisebrain and Retro Ruth like this.
  19. Mette Karlsen

Mette Karlsen Registered Guest

Good afternoon/evening/morning, Beloved Fellow Members!
    How is everyone? My name is Mette, I live near Philadelphia, PA, US, and, only 10 minutes ago, I finally succeeded at creating an account on this amazing website!! Jippi! I attempted becoming a member a few months ago, but something malfunctioned within cyberspace. Right after, my precious, loving, still-young cat, Baby, suddenly and unexpectedly died on September 5. On top of that, my family and I had no idea Baby had died--my stepfather found her poor dead body on October 2. She died fewer than 2 weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. I'm sure anyone reading this gets it when I say that doing anything but trying to keep going, grieve, etc, fell by the wayside for a while. I just adopted a new, young cat, fewer than 3 weeks ago, named Stormy. All is looking up!
    Anyway, as soon as I successfully confirmed my registration, then successfully logged into this site, WOW!!! Immediately, I was blissfully flooded, for the first time in my life, with, "Hallelujah! I am finally home--among people who share the same passionate, authentic, dedicated, important, and wonderfully-joyful interest in antique and vintage clothing, accessories, fabrics, sewing patterns, and certainly much other fascinating areas of our world/community! Thank you, Lord--at long last, I no longer feel alone!" I'm so grateful to everyone who belongs to the Vintage Fashion Guild--every single one of you all, no matter where you are located/gender/age, tra la la. Thank you all so much for allowing me to join--and for free! I've been dedicated, since 1994, to the joy, fun, and excitement that vintage and antique clothing have given me all these years. It has always been, and shall forever remain, an intensely-meaningful privilege, since Senior Year in high school, living/dressing/learning about/caring for/locating/obtaining nearly anything which truly is authentic vintage or antique garments, and much else. Today, I'm all the way at age 43 (!). At this point in life, my collection has grown so tremendously that I often refer to my antique and vintage garments as, "The Museum, a viewpoint I realized many years ago. And I have had very many happy and enlightening times all these years whenever I've spent any time engaging in vintage + antique activities of every sort. But...until today, I was alone in our world. I have attempted to bond with a number of others, since 17, in the form of talking about the clothing, etc, I was head-over-heels in love with from Day 1. Unfortunately, until today, I never became friends at all with one single person to whom I'd disclosed this amazing passion. I don't hold that former loneliness, nor any emotional deprivation against anyone. Whoever might be reading this, please know that. Life is sometimes unfair/disappointing/painful/not what one expected it would be. I've always been aware of that, and never attributed my failures at finding others, with whom I hoped to spend time participating together in vintage's/antique's usual, super-fun activities. I was just unlucky, just as so many other people in this world end up being. No big deal, right?
    But yay! I finally stepped up to the plate today! I am so blessed and happy, now that I can join in the forums on this miraculous website, run by what

20. Mette Karlsen

Mette Karlsen Registered Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.