1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with fur identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Wildcatfan, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Wildcatfan

Wildcatfan Registered Guest

Hello. My wife and I have just found this beautiful fur jacket but we have no idea what kind of fur it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Are you sure this isn't a faux fur? Can you see any skin at the base? No labels?

3. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Like Mary, I to wonder if it isn't faux fur.

I see late 90s into the 2000s.

At a push the black fur might be rabbit but I'm not convinced???

4. Wildcatfan

Thank you so much for your replies. We are so new to the forum. It is the first time we have used it. We use a lot of your articles and links to figure out decades on clothes with labels and fabric. It has been so helpful. We love finding vintage clothes and my wife has her own collection of pieces she and I have found over the past twenty to thirty years now. I was thinking that this was a rabbit fur jacket. It has the look and feel of real rabbit. I grew up on a farm and we were around a lot of different furs back then. But who knows this could be a higher quality of faux fur than I have ever been around. The brown with black tips is the one that has me so confused. I am sending a couple pictures to what looks like skin. But like I said this could be faux. It just feels so real. Thank you for all your help.

Attached Files:

5. Wildcatfan

I believe there is skin. There is no labels anywhere. I did another post with some more pictures. Thank you for your help.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am thinking it may be rabbit and perhaps the fluffier parts a kind of goat fur perhaps. Really cannot be sure but as you are showing and stating there is skin, those are my thoughts. Hope someone else here can help out.