1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE: VETERANS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day in the US. Many of us have/had fathers, mothers, husbands, brothers, sisters; friends and relatives who served. Perhaps some of you served! Please share photos of yourself, your loved ones, any uniforms you may have or have sold, military ephemera and of course jewelry.

I will start with a picture of my father during WWII:

upload_2020-11-10_10-3-18.png

My late husband in uniform around the time we met in the mid-1980s:

[​IMG]

A small celluloid airplane brooch, a piece of WWII Sweetheart jewelry - probably for a pilot. and P38 airplane earrings:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have more but let's see your tributes to our Veterans!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

What a fine theme, and so appropriate for the week of Veteran's Day, and also Remembrance Day.

My uncle served in WWII
    500-1.jpg
    Great uncle in WWI
    Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.30.50 PM.png

and my Great Grandfather in the Civil War. He was fortunate, having fought in a number of major battles, he made it home and spent the rest of his life as a postmaster.
    greatgrandfatherwilliammcferran1.jpg

I think I've had some really charming sweetheart pins from WWII, but I'll have to dig around for photos.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Wonderful photos, Maggie! I have some pictures of my uncles and also my husband's father who was also career Air Force but none of them are scanned. And - I have a lot more jewelry......:)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    lkranieri and denisebrain like this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

My 3 uncles on my mom's side. George, Peter and Mike.
    Mike was in the Black Watch, George in the Canadian army. I believe the youngest in the middle, Peter never had to go overseas as the war had thankfully ended.

upload_2020-11-10_17-53-5.png

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

My uncle, Army Air Corps bombardier, 20 plus missions over Europe

1940sedwardgjenkinsjr.jpg

My father's cousin, US Army Air Corps Pilot, shot down in late May 1944 in the lead up to D-Day, buried in Normandy
    1944joseph milton jenkins.jpg

My father, Korean War ( assigned in the States as a mail censor!)

1950swoody.jpg

Women's Army Corps Uniform Tech Sgt Dorothy Mills

1940suniform.jpg

1940s Uniform , Second Army
    1940suniformmens.jpg

Dated 1942 Naval Uniform Jacket
    1942navaljacket.jpg

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Second installment:

The Veteran who lives in this house:

photo 4.JPG

His grandfather, WWI
    File0001.jpg

His G-G-Grandfather, Civil War,17th Indiana ( that's his Wilder 's Brigade Medal). lots of battles , made it home fine
    harbagh3.jpg

And his G-G-G-Grandfather, 3rd Indiana in the Mexican War, 38th Indiana in the Civil War, wounded twice (Chattanooga and Atlanta area), came home, but badly wounded.
    File0003.jpg

7. denisebrain

Wow, what a legacy Hollis!

Distantdetails likes this.
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Wow! Every one of the men in uniform is so very handsome!

I have a couple of boxes of militaria and would like to share some of the items in them, as they just sit in boxes here and it would be an honor to them to share some of that. Until I have a minute to do that, though, here is a somber remembrance of one vet...found in a house sale. I never figured out who Guy was:

"American Women's War Hospital,
    Paignton, Devon, England
    July 4, 1916.

Dear mother and all,

First, to relieve all anxiety, I am in no danger, that is, no fear of dying from my wounds, and also in no danger from the Bosches, but still I am in a very peculiar position. Here I am, an American, wounded in the British Army in France, in England, in a hospital supported by American money, the hospital being the English mansion of Singer, of the Singer Sewing Machine Co., tended by American doctors and nurses, on the 4th of July. The nurses, at my request, got four American flags, one large, and three small, and draped them at the head of my bed. My bed is the "Boston Bed" supported by the women of Boston. I am the only wounded Yankee in the hospital, and they treat me like a baby.

I cabled, because in one of your letters, you told me if anything happened to be sure and cable. I asked for money because I had to borrow money to send cable. A little money will do wonders for a wounded soldier in the way of luxuries, etc. The hospitals are overcrowded, the wounded from the Great Offensive are arriving in thousands, its nothing but, blood, blood and moans. Not very pleasant to see.

Will give you a short account of how I got wounded. Cannot write very much because I am too weak from loss of blood. I have seen hell and hell fire out here, but never want to see another night like the one I went through, the night of June 30th-July 1st.

For nine days we bombarded the German positions and they returned the compliment. Just imagine nine days of hell, we averaged 16 shells per second (official). It was nothing but death, blood and mud. Trenches completely smashed in. Our machine gun section 2 was almost wiped out, lost nine men from one shell. A continual line of stretchers, and men limping to dressing stations. Well, at 7:30 a.m. July 1st, we were to charge the German lines. On the night of June 30th, 20 volunteers were called for to raid the German trenches and try and. capture a prisoner (for information). A very dangerous mission. I was one of the "twenty". We blacked our hands and faces with burned cork so they wouldn't show up when a star shell was fired. All we had for arms was four bombs each and a club. At 11 p. m. we went over the top, crawling on our bellies, a foot or so at a time, then bang, a star shell from the German lines, then hug the ground, expecting a bullet through the head at any second, because you can never tell when they see you. After a long time at this, we got through their first and second barb wire defenses, unobserved, as we thought, then we crawled to about 10 feet from their trench, when we ran into a regular trap of barb wire and we knew the game was up. We were caught like rats in a trap. Word was whispered down that line of twenty minstrel man to about turn and get out the best way possible.

Just then the Germans sent up about 10 star shells at once, turning night into day, and their sentries challenged us. Upon being challenged, our officer shouted to us, "Every man for himself" ''Get back!" Then hell broke loose, machine guns, rifle fire and bombs came at us from only a distance of 15 to 20 feet. I rose to my feet and turned to run, when, smash, bang, I got it on the left side of my face. Down I went, thought I was killed, and commenced biting the dust in my frenzy. Then I became possessed with an awful rage, cursing and blind I staggered to my feet, and tried to run, went a few yards, when, crack! a bullet through left shoulder. Down I went, with the cry ''I'm hit”. I was way in the rear, the rest just disappearing into the circle of darkness. I crouched close to the ground, left arm useless, half of my face gone, thought I was dying, and then started to reason. The bullets were spitting up the ground all round me, just missing me by inches. Up goes another star shell and falls right along side of me, so close that it burned my coat. Well, there I lay, in full sight, helpless and covered with blood, and do you know, those Germans gave me another one through the left shoulder. I don't know but this gave me new life. I rose up and threw one of my bombs which landed squarely in their trench, by the flash of the explosion of my bomb. I know I got four of them, saw them go down. Then I dropped. Pretty soon I heard a whisper "Where are you, Emp. old boy?" a man out of "B" Company, my old company, had crawled back to find me through that hell of fire. He put my right arm over his shoulder and dragged me along. The agony was awful, so could not help moaning. The Germans heard us, and opened up. It was awful. I begged him to leave me. I really wanted to die. Told him to save himself. All he would say was ''Come on, mate" and still keeping me going, regardless of the bullets. He dragged me over two hundred yards to a shell hole, where he bound up my wounds. From this point it took us 4½ hours, under fire, to get to a dressing station. I was bound up, put on a motor ambulance, sent to a temporary hospital, operated on, under chloroform, came to, into another ambulance, into a hospital train, into another ambulance, for a ride of 20 miles, on to the hospital ship Panama, crossed the Channel to Southampton, into a hospital train, for a 120 mile ride, into a motor ambulance, and here. Quick work, but awful on the patient. Operated on here, two tubes, pro tem, in my shoulder. Am doing well, but suffer quite a lot.

My face, unless special attention and very skilled care are accorded it, will be frightfully disfigured on left side. With attention, my shoulder will come around, although the bone is badly shattered. The bones of my cheek are also smashed.

That "B" Company man saved my life. Would like to make him a present of some kind. He was a real hero.

I am liable to get my discharge later on, through disability.

Half of my grin is still going on, the other half has been shot away. Kind of lonely for me away out here. All the other boys have friends and visitors.

With best love to all.

Guy

P.S. My coat had five other bullet holes in the side of it
    "

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's mostly Monty's family - we found 15 Union Civil War Veterans among his g-g-grandfathers and g-g-uncles. Quite the contingent and all from Harrison County, IN. Plus he had an uncle in WW2. These are just the ones I have photos of!

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

11. denisebrain

Lynne,

That is a harrowing story, and so well-written that I very uncomfortably felt I was there. I appreciate your sharing it.

It's amazing that you've found this article, and find he was a prolific author (and a movie star! a producer! and a playwright!). Is the letter you have in his own hand—the original?

Distantdetails likes this.
  12. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

My neighbor and friend, Charlie Bothfeld. He served in Germany in WW2. Shown with his wife and then a few months ago. He caned chairs. Charlie died recently at age 100 on his way to the woods with his new chainsaw.

charlie1.jpg charlie2 copy.jpg

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Lynne, that is amazing! A harrowing story indeed, but beautifully written.

14. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Today I honor my late father-in-law who was a Captain in the Marine Corps and served in WWII and Korea.
    This is his service cap.
    CAPTAINBILL.jpg

15. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Maggie, I will dig out the letter when I return from the vet’s (that’s as in veterinarian’s!) and I haven’t looked at the original letter in a few years, but IIRC it was typewritten and signed by him. I also believe it has obvious signs of age. Additionally, from what I quickly read about “Emp” I think he was from Jersey City NJ and since I found this in an estate sale in NJ (but not likely in Jersey City), it is probably safe to speculate it is an Empey original.

16. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My first husband - in secondary training at Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado circa 1968. From there he went to Robins in Georgia and eventually served in Vietnam for several months. It was a difficult time for him at multiple levels, with longterm inner scars. He died in 2014 of liver failure related to Hepatitis C, possibly contracted during his time in service.

JLM USAF5.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  17. denisebrain

Thank you for sharing that Maggie. I lost my cousin in Vietnam, age 19. It was so hard.

18. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

This is a picture of my father, Gerald Joseph Shaw, when he signed up at 18 in 1940. Four of his brothers also served in WWII. They were all "country boys" from rural Missouri. All returned, some better off than others, in terms of their mental states.

It was always a source of shame for my father that the Navy sent him to school instead of into combat. My father, nor his brothers, ever thought of himself as "smart", but he came up with a machine for putting out fires on airplanes as they landed. After that, the Navy sent him to Rice University in a fast program to get his mechanical engineering degree. I was always proud of that, but he felt he let his country down. Those "boys" wanted to be a part of the real fight.

Rest in Peace, Dad. You served your country well.
    4FC0AFA8-B99A-4B33-8E38-9A1BDF4C2E28_4_5005_c.jpeg

19. denisebrain

Your father looks so kind Janine. You're a chip off the old block.

I'd be proud of him too!

lkranieri likes this.
  20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is an incredible letter you shared with us Lynne. I will definitely read the follow up link too.

lkranieri likes this.