1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPOTLIGHT ON VINTAGE - NEW YEAR'S EVE

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Linn, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

[​IMG]

This year most of us are being asked to celebrate NYE "small" with our families and close friends - outside if possible and socially distanced - wearing our masks.

For this last "Spotlight" of 2020 - let's pretend it's 1937, or 1947, or 1955, or 1964 or whatever your favorite vintage period may be and let's put together an outfit you'd love to wear to a New Year's Eve party - (or to have worn then.) Be as creative as you wish - and have fun! The outfit doesn't have to belong to you - but if you "borrow it - please give credit!

This 1930's gown is from the University of Hawaii's Historic Costume Collection. (I love it!!!) I've added Period earrings, bracelet and handbag from my personal collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAPPY NEW YEAR1111

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

OMG, that dress, Linn! Is it chartreuse?

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. Linn

It is chartreuse. Here are some other views of it. I volunteered for several years at the UH Historic Costume Collection - mostly in the '30s collection. It is one of my favorite pieces. It's silk - I don't remember if the chenille is cotton or silk.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Linn, this outfit would be gorgeous! Jaw-dropping.

Who knows? Perhaps the austerity of 2020 will usher in an age of fashion luxury.

GemGem likes this.
  5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I haven't gone out on NYE in many years but when I did I wore this top hat rhinestone pin and crystal/rhinestone champagne saucer glass earrings.
    NYERS.jpg

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

A NYE photo circa 1973 with my then BF
    02866_p_19arx2f6273154_r.jpg

7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I think this was taken on NYE as well, in the early 80s - my dress was a killer Joan Crawford style 40s cocktail dress, worn with rhinestones. DH was also wearing vintage, although hard to make out here. The photographer caught me mid-blink. I swear I was not as inebriated as I may look.

:drinkingtoast:

Chicago-early-80s.jpg

8. Linn

Very fun accessories and photos, Maggie and MS!!! I might get this little celluloid pin out tonight:

[​IMG]

If I do, I'll be pinning it on a tee shirt!

9. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I had those exact earrings (the base of the "glass" is sterling, yes?), but I lost one on New Year's Eve, 1996 at a nightclub in Houston, called Rockefellers. I was so disappointed, because I had worn them every New Year's Eve!!! They were so fun!

10. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Bummer. I love mine but if I decide to sell them I will keep you in mind. (Yes, sterling)

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

12. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I have never been much of a late 12/31 reveler because I have often had to play Viennese waltzes (while sober!).

If I had to choose just one thing to wear for a New Year's party, it would be the 1938 Schiaparelli shocking pink silk cape called Phoebus, from her Zodiac collection. This is from palaisgalliera.paris.fr

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 8.34.12 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  13. Linn

Janine -

Sorry you lost an earring - they are really fun!
    Maggie - love your choice! It is fabulous! I love the Shocking Pink.

I don't think there were any live performances this NYE - this is from 2018:

denisebrain and Distantdetails like this.
  14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great choices!

Linn, that was the Blue Danube recording the Austrian TV played this year at midnight, filmed at the beautiful Schloss Belvedere. Usually they film a new one every few years. Traditionally, the ORF, the Austrian TV and radio channels, all switch to the ringing of the big bell (Pummerin) of St. Stephens cathedral and then play the Blue Danube at midnight. Over the years and the many New Year's Eves I've spent with friends in Vienna (since 2006 and up to last year), we've always tuned in somehow, as all of Vienna seems to do. Even at downtown in-clubs, they would switch the disco music off and ORF on, and clubbers would waltz along, or at the hipster café where we spent one memorable New Year's Eve. There was barely any room to dance, but people got up anyway. When we celebrated at someone's home, we would switch the radio or TV on for that. I think I managed to waltz through the whole 9 minutes once with a friend when there was a large enough living room. And going back, when I was a kid, we watched a lot of ORF because they showed a lot of theatre and opera which is my mom's thing, and they always had a big live show on New Year's, so we would watch that and then the midnight "ritual". So this has become kind of a ritual for me too.

denisebrain and Distantdetails like this.