1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a velvet gown with embellishment

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by briez, Jan 21, 2021.

1. briez

briez Registered Guest

Hi!
    I was given this vintage (antique?) dress and told it was "early 20th century."
    I'm having some trouble figuring when exactly it is from.
    It does have a side zipper, but I wonder if it was added later?
    Inside it has a hand-stitched tag that says MARIELI.
    I included some pictures of the interior... lots of the work was done by hand...
    Any guidance or guesses would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you so much!!!

IMG_4508.jpg dating  velvet dress.jpg dating  velvet dress _2823 copy.jpg dating  velvet dress .jpg IMG_4506.jpg IMG_4507.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

4. briez

briez Registered Guest

Thank you Mary Jane, and also thank you Barbara! :)
    I so appreciate your input... I'm just curious what made you say 1950s/pre 55? :)

(Just curious as I'm trying to learn more! Thank you so much ! :USETHUMBUP:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with 1950s, and think it might have had a supporting net crini or tiered petticoat for some skirt fullness and lift. Also, I think I see that the zipper is on the right side, which with the hand embroidered label leads to to think it's a dress maker gown.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely gown. I agree with the dating. I wonder if it may have been a custom made gown for a woman whose name was Mariell.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The reason I say that is mainly due to the way the bodice is constructed.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, the bodice is a good clue for dating. Also, velveteen was a very popular fabric for evening gowns at that time.

9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I'm afraid I do not know the dating, but just wanted to say I love the grapes & vines design, so cute! Beautiful dress.

10. briez

briez Registered Guest

Thank you everyone for the insight! It is truly very appreciated :)
    x

Retro Ruth likes this.