1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a morning dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Grover Street Girl, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Grover Street Girl

Grover Street Girl Registered Guest

174E04E4-A203-4673-93D6-B91653B68ADF.jpeg BDDC14DC-951D-4DAA-81D1-0249022895D4.jpeg 0A63600C-2447-4207-9967-0B75240DE02F.jpeg 94C0CAB8-E26A-46F6-A50E-DFA606B964BB.jpeg A15A97A8-8BDA-4CFA-A8D5-ECF6282A62C3.jpeg 8F5A89C5-D5A5-4B38-82A7-6AEB165EBB4E.jpeg BFEEFC45-2DE0-48F4-B3F9-52F897D27E02.jpeg C9FC7143-FF1A-4EB9-94A6-004600861C89.jpeg C6638707-2680-478E-97CF-2ABB9BA0C9EB.jpeg

I’ve spent hours going down a rabbit hole trying to find a gown similar to this. Lots of things close, but I’d like to get the date as close as possible. Blue print cotton (honeycomb effect with sprigs), bodice underlined in muslin.

No closures at all (used glass head pins?). Placket up the front, but only opens to the hipline. Shoulder and hem ruffle. Narrow pleats beside the placket start below the collar. High capped sleeves are curved, narrow at the wrist, ruffled edge. Standing collar. Shoulder ruffle continues to the back and is broken by a narrowly pleated Watteau back that falls freely. Godets added at hem for more fullness. Princess seaming in back only. Longer in back than in front. No belt was included. Machine stitching. Thanks to all of the experts out there!

2. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Not at all my era of expertise, but OMG, this dress is lovely!!

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Grover Street Girl

Thanks! I know, that’s why I’d like to be true to it’s history. It’s keeping me up at night!

5. Grover Street Girl

Thanks!

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

I'm in the same boat as Marsha and Karin, not familiar with this era, unfortunately, but I'm sure some of our experts who are will be along for you. What a beauty!!

Grover Street Girl likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is so lovely, and these dresses seem to rarely have survived through the decades. My thoughts are it dates to 1900 to 1905, maybe 1902-1904 ish. What a treasure!

8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Lovely, just lovely.

I see earlier, 1830, ( Victorian era ) but every time I look again--there is a Regency influence--maybe I'm seeing things that simply aren't there.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

With the puff at the top of the sleeve in conjunction with the yoke ruffles, they are typical late 1890s features, I would say 1898ish. There is a Regency influence - that is, in part what they are reviving with these wrappers and without its belt (it would have come with one - sometimes they were attached to the back, sometimes not, it appears to have a high bustline because the dress flows without cinching. It would look like these, with a belt:
    th.jpeg

10. Grover Street Girl

Thank you so much for the additional information, it’s incredibly helpful!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I don't think it is that late and I'm not sure it would have had a belt.

Yes 1890 s revival but that date, late 1890s, revival, dress would have had a harshness it doesn't have.

And the cloth, the appearance of lightness, delicate, I do think it is earlier then late Victorian.

If not 1830s I can't see it being later then 1850s and I think that a little to late.

12. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I know far less others about such things, but I think 1830s is quite early for machine stitching? Not impossible, but hand stitching more likely?

13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ruth,

As you say 1830s, it throws a big spanner at my dating for machine stitching.

But remain convinced--for now, it's earlier then later.

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been giving this some thought and looking through my books... I concur with Jonathan, and would also say 1890s. This was a garment that would have been worn at home and that would not have been as structured as an actual dress.

Those sleeves and ruffles just don't look right for 1830s or the next couple of decades IMHO.

Grover Street Girl and Katarzyna like this.
  15. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I agree, this dress was never made to be worn outside as a dress, more at home, I see indoors, veranda, breakfast.

Sleeves and ruffles don't look at odds.

But have to accept what Ruth said, 1830' machine stitched would be unusual.

But then I'm not convinced this dress was British made.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Machine lock stitching wasn't invented until 1846 and not used commercially until the late 1850s/60s. Chain stitching machines have been around since the 1830s and were used commercially until lock stitching displaced chain stitching for all sewing but ornamental. Wrappers were intended for at home and were worn for maternity, which is why the belt is optional, and often lost.

17. Grover Street Girl

I am so appreciative of everyone sharing their knowledge, and their ideas. It really is so helpful.

I think that the clue about machine stitching is probably our best. A sewing machine for home use wasn’t readily available until 1889, based on info I found online. And it is seamstress (not factory) made.
    Maybe the dress was a personal design, not fitting exactly in any category, but with all the desired details of the wearer.
    Thanks again to all!

18. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

In my post above I mentioned 1900-1905, with my best guess 1902-1904. I can definitely see this being a few years earlier, with Jonathan pin pointing it to 1898. A couple of years earlier than Ifirst saw, but surely it fits 1898 to a "T".

Most definitely not 1830s. Even if it was hand sewn it is all wrong for that time period.

Midge likes this.