1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this dress - 50s-60s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Jun 5, 2016.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello! I'm not quite sure about this dress. It has the rather ambiguous "made in the british crown colony of hong kong label" by Royal Victoria Ltd. Size 10. It has a back metal zipper closure. Any thoughts thanks!

black1.jpg black2.jpg black3.jpg black4.jpg

foofoogal likes this.
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I think early 60s, with the waist rising from the natural to the empire line. It's not a typical cut though so could be a touch earlier - late 1950s possibly. It's lovely!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Nice find! I agree with early 60s. So rare to find them with their hang tag!

4. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Thank you! Yes, I was surprised to find the tags. I think I spent $5 on it, so I was happy! I found this one at the same time with the same british crown colony il_fullxfull.966758546_l9xu.jpg tag. (also for 5$) I really like the white one.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Fab finds. Real State occasion type dresses!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great finds is right...especially for that kind of price...luck was with you that day!

7. MemphisVintage

MemphisVintage VFG Member

Both beautiful dress and great finds!!!

8. Early 60s and both are lovely formal dresses.....I think you did very well with these two finds!

9. Erin K

Erin K Registered Guest

Hi there! New to this site! I can’t figure out how to start a new forum so I’m asking people with a similar question! Sorry if I’m way off! Wondering if anyone knows anything about this label? It’s Crown Royal (like the liquor lol) and when I search, I only find things for Victoria Royal.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Erin K -

Welcome to the VFG Forums. To start a new thread in a forum to ask a question about vintage click on this link:

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-vintage-fashion-ask-questions-get-answers.39/

Then click on the "Post New Thread" that you will see on the right and then start asking your questions. Please post a picture of the garment, and repost the photo of the label and tell us about the garment.

I'd also recommend that you read through this thread - to get more information on how to navigate the VFG Forums.

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-information-center-welcome-to-the-forums.36/

Retro Ruth likes this.
  11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Lovely both of them, I have to say I prefer the white one which I would say is earlier 50s in style and the other early 60s.

12. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Victoria Royal Ltd. was a New York based company that had their clothes made in Hong Kong. There were heavy tariffs on off-shore manufacturing, but if the company was HQ'd in the States, their quota was higher than if they were a foreign company importing into the States. Victoria Royal was founded in about 1960 - just as Dynasty, the pioneering brand of Hong Kong dress manufacturing founded in 1953, was peeking in popularity. I can't find a start date for the company but they were known by 1961.

Midge likes this.